Integrated circuits made with GaN HEMTs

• Thread starter ZeroFunGame
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary: There are a few reasons why people have not used GaN in integrated circuits. One reason is that HEMTs have a much higher mobility, which makes it easier to use them in integrated circuits. Another reason is that the GaN technology is not as mature as the silicon technology.
ZeroFunGame
TL;DR Summary
Why do people not make integrated circuits using GaN? Since HEMTs have so much higher mobility, why have they not been leveraged for integrated circuits?
Why do people not make integrated circuits using GaN? Since HEMTs have so much higher mobility, why have they not been leveraged for integrated circuits?

Engineering news on Phys.org
ZeroFunGame said:
Summary:: Why do people not make integrated circuits using GaN? Since HEMTs have so much higher mobility, why have they not been leveraged for integrated circuits?

Industry until recently (~2016) have struggled to make GaN PMOS devices. With NMOS devices only, maximal level of integration is limited.

trurle said:
Industry until recently (~2016) have struggled to make GaN PMOS devices. With NMOS devices only, maximal level of integration is limited.

What is limiting making NMOS-only logic? Most of Intel's first microprocessors were only on NMOS. Could we make a 4-bit microprocessor similar to Intel 4004 using GaN n-type HEMTs?

ZeroFunGame said:
What is limiting making NMOS-only logic? Most of Intel's first microprocessors were only on NMOS. Could we make a 4-bit microprocessor similar to Intel 4004 using GaN n-type HEMTs?
Practical limit of NMOS only is about 300 thousands transistors per chip. Small (8 or 16 bit) processors can be done with GaN NMOS tech, but the utility will be limited to few specialized DSP applications.

I tried to search for GaN microprocessors or commercial ICs made using GaN, but was not able to find any. I've seen papers on a GaN comparator and 101-stage RO, but what's preventing the design of a flash ADC? The propagation delay from the 101-stage RO was 0.1 ns, which seems to be very fast, and if they have demonstrated a comparator using e/d-mode DCFL, then why have companies not yet made an ADC using GaN? Is it mostly cost? Or do you think there is a greater technical challenge with higher levels of integration?

I admit I don't know the answer, but I believe it's process related. Industry has long invested and developed so much for silicon, that it's probably cheaper and easier compared to other materials.

If I am recalling correctly or at least in the right direction, then GaN wafers are a pain to make especially in high volume ie. they have to made by a more complicated process, developed on more expensive substrates like sapphire, and the lattice constant is hard to match to grown with buffer layers like AlN.

The channel lengths I hear about GaN seem to me less impressive compared to silicon transistors, but I'm not super aware of the capabilities regarding GaN and so maybe I am mistaken. I am thinking making more per wafer or the actual wafer size might be hard to achieve.

Just my guess... I don't know the answer.

ZeroFunGame said:
I tried to search for GaN microprocessors or commercial ICs made using GaN, but was not able to find any. I've seen papers on a GaN comparator and 101-stage RO, but what's preventing the design of a flash ADC? The propagation delay from the 101-stage RO was 0.1 ns, which seems to be very fast, and if they have demonstrated a comparator using e/d-mode DCFL, then why have companies not yet made an ADC using GaN? Is it mostly cost? Or do you think there is a greater technical challenge with higher levels of integration?
0.1ns/stage is actually not that good; modern Si CMOS routinely have 0.02ns/stage at 65nm tech scale.
Newer paper report 0.015 ns/stage with 40nm GaN tech, with is pretty comparable with the Si CMOS.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/260589603_High-speed_501-stage_DCFL_GaN_ring_oscillator_circuits

GaN microwave devices with modern tech allows approximately doubling of speed compared to silicon, and only for specific conditions. The cost, on the other hand, is roughly 100 times higher for GaN. Therefore, i suspect it is mostly cost.
Main advantage of GaN is not baseline speed, but capability to retain good performance at elevated temperatures (up to 275C). Therefore, it is extensively used already where high power density is needed - for example, in X to Ka bands in spacecraft transmitters.

Last edited:
Likes ZeroFunGame

1. What are GaN HEMTs and how are they different from traditional integrated circuits?

GaN HEMTs (Gallium Nitride High Electron Mobility Transistors) are a type of integrated circuit that use a material called gallium nitride to create a high-speed, high-power transistor. They are different from traditional integrated circuits, which typically use silicon, because they have a wider bandgap and are able to operate at higher frequencies and voltages, making them more efficient and powerful.

2. What are the benefits of using GaN HEMTs in integrated circuits?

There are several benefits to using GaN HEMTs in integrated circuits. These include higher power density, faster switching speeds, and improved efficiency. They also have a smaller footprint, allowing for more compact and lightweight devices. Additionally, GaN HEMTs can operate at higher temperatures, making them suitable for use in harsh environments.

3. How are GaN HEMTs manufactured and what makes them unique?

GaN HEMTs are manufactured using a process called epitaxy, where layers of materials are grown on top of each other to create the transistor. What makes GaN HEMTs unique is the use of gallium nitride as the semiconductor material, which allows for higher power and frequency capabilities compared to traditional silicon-based transistors.

4. What applications are GaN HEMTs commonly used in?

GaN HEMTs are commonly used in applications that require high power and efficiency, such as power supplies, electric vehicles, and wireless charging. They are also used in telecommunications, aerospace, and defense industries due to their ability to operate at high frequencies and temperatures.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations with using GaN HEMTs in integrated circuits?

While GaN HEMTs offer many benefits, there are also some challenges and limitations to consider. One challenge is the higher cost of manufacturing compared to traditional silicon-based transistors. Additionally, there may be reliability issues in certain applications due to the relatively new technology. However, as research and development continue, these challenges are being addressed and GaN HEMTs are becoming more widely adopted in various industries.