Integrating a curious function

In summary: Integration by parts in NOT the way to go. Your second comment makes no sense: the OP is 100% sure of what he/she means. Anyway, the second form f(x)= [x/log(x)] (where [] = greatest-integer function) will not have an analytically expressible integral---think about why not.
zip37

Homework Statement

I'm having some trouble trying to integrate the following function

Homework Equations

[itex]\int([x/(logx)]dx)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried integration by parts but I get stuck with harder integrals. What I'd like to know is that this function could be integrated or not. :) I've tried using Wolfram Alpha for this particular case but my math level is way below the explanations given there.

Physics news on Phys.org
zip37 said:

Homework Statement

I'm having some trouble trying to integrate the following function

Homework Equations

[itex]\int([x/(logx)]dx)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried integration by parts but I get stuck with harder integrals. What I'd like to know is that this function could be integrated or not. :) I've tried using Wolfram Alpha for this particular case but my math level is way below the explanations given there.

Do you mean that the integrand is [itex] f(x) = x/ \log(x)[/itex] or do you mean [itex] f(x) = [x/ \log(x)] [/itex], where [itex] [\cdots][/itex] is the "greatest-integer function"? If you mean the former, Maple expresses the result in terms of the non-elementary function Ei (the exponential integral): [tex] \mbox{Ei}(y) = P\int_{-\infty}^y \frac{e^t}{t} dt, [/tex]
with P denoting the principal value integral.

RGV

Yes, I meant the former, the integrand is x/logx.

Thank you for the information! I'm looking up a bit in other websites what this Ei function is in more detail.

Are you integrating that through the whole real line? In that case you really do have a principal value integral because you are moving through a pole in the integrand.

Integration by parts is the way I would go.

Try both functions for u. Ya got a 50% chance that your 1st choice is the correct one :)

kmacinto said:
Integration by parts is the way I would go.

Try both functions for u. Ya got a 50% chance that your 1st choice is the correct one :)

Integration by parts in NOT the way to go.

Your second comment makes no sense: the OP is 100% sure of what he/she means. Anyway, the second form f(x)= [x/log(x)] (where [] = greatest-integer function) will not have an analytically expressible integral---think about why not.

RGV

1. What is a curious function?

A curious function is a mathematical function that exhibits interesting or unexpected behavior. It may have unusual properties or produce surprising results when certain conditions are met.

2. How do you integrate a curious function?

Integrating a curious function involves finding the antiderivative of the function, which is the reverse of differentiation. This can be done using various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions.

3. Are there any real-world applications for integrating a curious function?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for integrating a curious function. For example, it can be used to model the growth of populations, calculate the area under a curve, or determine the total distance traveled by an object.

4. What are some challenges you may encounter when integrating a curious function?

One challenge when integrating a curious function is that it may not have a closed-form antiderivative, meaning it cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. In these cases, numerical methods may be used to approximate the integral.

5. Can integrating a curious function lead to incorrect results?

Yes, if the function is not integrated correctly, it can lead to incorrect results. This is why it is important to understand the properties and techniques of integration and to double-check your work for accuracy.