1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating a logarithm

1. May 4, 2008 #1
    Hello

So I have a problem, which is to use integration by parts to integrate...

[tex]\int^{1}_{0}(1-x) ln (1-x) dx[/tex]

The way I have been working is it to seperate it out into just...

[tex]\int^{1}_{0}ln (1-x) dx - \int^{1}_{0}x ln (1-x) dx[/tex]

and then integrating by parts on each of these seperatele, but for instance if I integrate by parts the first bit, I get...

[tex][xln(1-x)]^{1}_{0} + \int^{1}_{0}x \frac{1}{1-x}[/tex]

And im thinking the first part to this doesn't make sense, because [tex]ln (0)[/tex] is a mathematical nono. So im confused with regard to this problem - has anybody any decent suggestions on how to do this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2008 #2
    The integral isn't proper (you're working right up to a pole!) so you must take limit to 1, not just put in the values.

4. May 4, 2008 #3
    Integral is proper because the function [tex](1-x)\ln(1-x)[/tex] is continuous and bounded on [tex][0,1)[/tex] (it has finite limit when [tex]x\rightarrow 1[/tex]).

[tex]\int_0^1(1-x)\ln(1-x)\,dx=\left.-\frac{(1-x)^2\ln(1-x)}{2}\right|_0^1-\int_0^1\frac{1-x}{2}\,dx=\left.\frac{(1-x)^2}{4}\right|_0^1=-\frac{1}{4}.[/tex]

Your problem is in decomposing the finite value in the form of substraction of two infinite values.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?