How can I integrate (1-x)ln(1-x) using integration by parts?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving integration by parts to solve the integral \int^{1}_{0}(1-x) ln (1-x) dx. The person speaking suggests separating the integral into two parts and then integrating each separately. However, there is a concern about the first part of the integral, as ln(0) is undefined. The conversation ends with a suggestion to take a limit to solve the problem.
Bunting
Hello

So I have a problem, which is to use integration by parts to integrate...

[tex]\int^{1}_{0}(1-x) ln (1-x) dx[/tex]

The way I have been working is it to separate it out into just...

[tex]\int^{1}_{0}ln (1-x) dx - \int^{1}_{0}x ln (1-x) dx[/tex]

and then integrating by parts on each of these seperatele, but for instance if I integrate by parts the first bit, I get...

[tex][xln(1-x)]^{1}_{0} + \int^{1}_{0}x \frac{1}{1-x}[/tex]

And I am thinking the first part to this doesn't make sense, because [tex]ln (0)[/tex] is a mathematical nono. So I am confused with regard to this problem - has anybody any decent suggestions on how to do this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The integral isn't proper (you're working right up to a pole!) so you must take limit to 1, not just put in the values.

Integral is proper because the function [tex](1-x)\ln(1-x)[/tex] is continuous and bounded on [tex][0,1)[/tex] (it has finite limit when [tex]x\rightarrow 1[/tex]).

[tex]\int_0^1(1-x)\ln(1-x)\,dx=\left.-\frac{(1-x)^2\ln(1-x)}{2}\right|_0^1-\int_0^1\frac{1-x}{2}\,dx=\left.\frac{(1-x)^2}{4}\right|_0^1=-\frac{1}{4}.[/tex]

Your problem is in decomposing the finite value in the form of substraction of two infinite values.

1. What is the purpose of integrating a logarithm?

The purpose of integrating a logarithm is to find the antiderivative or indefinite integral of a logarithmic function. This allows us to determine the original function from its derivative, which is useful in many applications such as physics, engineering, and finance.

2. How do I integrate a logarithm?

To integrate a logarithm, you can use the power rule of integration, which states that the integral of x^n is equal to x^(n+1)/(n+1). For logarithmic functions, this rule becomes the natural logarithm of x, or ln(x), plus a constant of integration.

3. Can I use substitution to integrate a logarithm?

Yes, substitution can be used to integrate a logarithm. This method involves replacing the variable in the logarithm with a new variable, simplifying the integral, and then using the power rule of integration to find the antiderivative.

4. What are some common logarithmic functions that are integrated?

Some common logarithmic functions that are integrated include the natural logarithm (ln) and the common logarithm (log or log10). These functions often arise in problems involving exponential growth or decay, pH calculations, and logarithmic scales.

5. Are there any special techniques for integrating complicated logarithmic functions?

Yes, there are special techniques such as integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions that can be used to integrate complicated logarithmic functions. It is important to carefully analyze the function and choose the most appropriate technique to simplify the integral.