Integrating a Rational Function with a Cubic Denominator

• Thread starter Ocis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integral of (x^2)/(2x^3-3)^2 can be determined using the substitution method. By setting u = (2x^3 - 3) and using du/dx = 6x^2, the integral can be rewritten as 1/6 * (u^-1 / -1). Simplifying further, the final answer is -1/6(2x^3 - 3) + C. The x^2 in the numerator cancels out when substituting in dx, leaving no x in the final expression.
Ocis
Determine the integral (x^2) / (2x^3 - 3)^2

This is probably easier than I expect but I have been attempting it using substitution...?
u = (2x^3 -3)
du/dx = 6x^2
dx = du / 6x^2

x^2 / (u^2) . du / 6x^2 - then I lose it because of the canceling out, and I'm unsure what happens to the x's...

I know the answer is -1/6 (2x^3 - 3) + C, but would appreciate the working I miss out. Or if I am attempting it using the wrong methods.

Many thanks,

Ocis

Physics news on Phys.org
you get [tex]\int[/tex]1/6u^2 du, so now integrate 1/u^2 with respect to u

Thank you for the reply.

Ok so can I say that 1/u^2 = u^-2 ?
if so it would become 1/6 . (u^-1 / -1) = -1/6 (u) ? = -1/6 (2x^3 - 3) + C

Ok if that is right I think I understand a little more but just get confused with what to do with the x^2 as the numerator...?

dx=du/6[tex]x^{2}[/tex]
when you substitute this in the expression the x^2 in the numerator cancels out, so there is in fact no x left in the expression.

Ok I understand now, thank you very much.

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve. It is also known as a definite integral or an antiderivative.

Why is determining the integral important?

Determining the integral is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and statistics. It allows us to solve problems involving continuous quantities and understand the behavior of complex systems.

What are the different methods for determining an integral?

There are several methods for determining an integral, including the fundamental theorem of calculus, substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. The method used depends on the complexity of the integral and the desired level of accuracy.

How do you determine the limits of integration?

The limits of integration are determined by the given problem or the specific application. In most cases, the limits correspond to the boundaries of the region being integrated over. It is important to correctly identify and set the limits before solving the integral.

Can integrals be solved using technology?

Yes, integrals can be solved using various mathematical software and calculators. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of the concepts and methods involved in determining integrals to ensure accurate results and to interpret and apply them correctly in real-world situations.