1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating a square root function

1. Oct 12, 2015 #1
    Problem statement:
    Find the arc length of the curve defined by x = √t and y = 3t -1 on the interval 0 < t < 1

attempted solution:
    dx/dt = 1/2t-1/2 , dy/dt = 3 and dx = dt/ 2√t
    dy/dx = 6√t
    length = ∫01 √(1 + (6√t)2) .dt/ 2√t
    = ∫01 √1 + 36t) dt/2√t
    now I'm stuck with a product that is very difficult to solve using integration by parts or by trig substitution. Please shed some light.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If I was doing the problem I would first perform a simple change-of-variables to make the problem easier. However, PF rules forbid me from saying more, except to suggest you look in your textbook and/or course notes (or on-line) to find similar integrals.

And: please stop using bold fonts in your posts. It is annoying and a bit intimidating.

4. Oct 12, 2015 #3

Svein

Science Advisor

Looking at the equation. I can see that y = 3x2-1. Furthermore t=0⇒x=0 and t=1⇒x=1.

5. Oct 12, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Fixed in original post...
    The excess bolding comes from deleting the template boilerplate, but missing the bold tags.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted