1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating dx/dv^2 ?

1. May 9, 2005 #1
    Integrating dx/dv^2 ??

i'm trying to figure out an example in my physics book but i don't quite understand the maths.

[tex]
    \int \frac {dv} {v^2} = - \frac {1} {v}
    [\tex]

how does this happen??

looking at the basic antiderivative formulas section in my maths book, it says that:

[tex]
    \int \frac {dv} {v} = ln v
    [\tex}

but nowwhere do i find info on how to do the problem in my physics book.

would reallly appreciate the help! :)

+edit+

sorry, very new to the forums.. why doesn't the latex work? :confused:

just in case others can't view it as well.. what i meant was..

how do you integrate dv/v^2? i know the answer is -1/v but don't know the rules for this. the closest rule i can find is that integrating dv/v is ln v..

incidentally, i don't think i've activated this account properly.. how can i activate my account? (i deleted the activate account e-mail i think)

Last edited: May 9, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2005 #2
    the closing tag should be [/tex]

4. May 9, 2005 #3
    I can't use LaTeX properly, so I'll just write it out again.

The integral of x^n dx = [x^(n + 1)]/(n + 1) + C for all n (positive or negative), except n = -1, in which case, it is ln x + C.

So, in your case you have the integral of dx/x^2 = x^-2 dx and just apply the rule above.

5. May 9, 2005 #4
    [tex] \int \frac{dv}{v^2} = \frac{-1}{v} [/tex]

[tex] \int \frac{dv}{v} = ln|v| [/tex]

6. May 9, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does it make sense to have [itex] \frac{1}{v^{2}} [/itex] in one member and [itex] \frac{1}{v} [/itex] in the other...?I think not.

Daniel.

7. May 10, 2005 #6
    ah thanks a lot! thank you inha for that [/tex]! and thank you nylex for that explanation!! i never knew that it didn't apply when n = -1.. now that i look in my textbook, it does specify that.. though wrongly.. it says when n = 1 (checking in another book, shows that it is indeed when n = -1)

but what do you mean to have [tex] \frac {1} {v^2} [/tex] in one member and [tex] \frac {1} {v} [/tex] in another? i don't understand at all. (what's a member, first of all?)

and thanks whozum for the proper rendition in latex! but why is it [tex] \int \frac{dv}{v^2} = \frac{-1}{v} [/tex] and not [tex] \int \frac{dv}{v^2} = - \frac{1}{v} [/tex]? i know that both actually mean the same thing but when i do the calculation i reach [tex] \int \frac{dv}{v^2} = \frac{1}{-v} [/tex].. which means that i may doing something wrong so, just in case.. i'll write out how i do it and if you could be so kind, could you point out where i went wrong?

[tex] \int \frac{dv}{v^2}
    = \int \frac{1}{v^2} dv
    = \int (v^-2) dv
    = \frac{v^-1}{-1}
    = \frac {\frac{1}{v}} {\frac{-1}{1}}
    = \frac{-1}{v} [/tex]

i guess this is where the difference is? [tex] \frac{1}{-1} [/tex] instead of [tex] \frac{-1}{1} [/tex]? does it matter? i haven't done any maths for a long long time and i have no idea if it does or not..

** by the way, why is it that the "1" is not in superscript in [tex] \frac{v^-1}{-1}[/tex]?

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  8. May 10, 2005 #7
    The answers you gave are identical and both correct. To superscript it, put { } about the exponential argument

a^{apples} = [tex] a^{apples} [/tex]

9. May 10, 2005 #8
    thanks! :)

10. May 10, 2005 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The general formula, by the way is that the anti-derivative of [tex]x^n[/tex] is
    [tex]\frac{1}{n+1}x^{n+1}+ C[/tex] unless n+1= 0 (since we can't have 1/0) . That happens, of course, when n= -1. The anti-derivative of [tex]x^{-1}= \frac{1}{x}[/tex] is ln|x|. There are a variety of ways to show that- the simplest is to define ln|x| in that way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?