How can I find the antiderivative of dx/dv^2 in my physics book?

In summary, the integral of dx/x^2 is equal to -1/x, and this can be found using the general formula for anti-derivatives of x^n. However, the formula does not apply when n = -1, which is why the integral of dx/x is ln|x|.
kape
Integrating dx/dv^2 ??

i'm trying to figure out an example in my physics book but i don't quite understand the maths.

[tex]
\int \frac {dv} {v^2} = - \frac {1} {v}
[\tex]

how does this happen??

looking at the basic antiderivative formulas section in my maths book, it says that:

[tex]
\int \frac {dv} {v} = ln v
[\tex}

but nowwhere do i find info on how to do the problem in my physics book.

would reallly appreciate the help! :)

+edit+

sorry, very new to the forums.. why doesn't the latex work? :confused:

just in case others can't view it as well.. what i meant was..

how do you integrate dv/v^2? i know the answer is -1/v but don't know the rules for this. the closest rule i can find is that integrating dv/v is ln v..

incidentally, i don't think I've activated this account properly.. how can i activate my account? (i deleted the activate account e-mail i think)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the closing tag should be [/tex]

I can't use LaTeX properly, so I'll just write it out again.

The integral of x^n dx = [x^(n + 1)]/(n + 1) + C for all n (positive or negative), except n = -1, in which case, it is ln x + C.

So, in your case you have the integral of dx/x^2 = x^-2 dx and just apply the rule above.

[tex] \int \frac{dv}{v^2} = \frac{-1}{v} [/tex]

[tex] \int \frac{dv}{v} = ln|v| [/tex]

Does it make sense to have [itex] \frac{1}{v^{2}} [/itex] in one member and [itex] \frac{1}{v} [/itex] in the other...?I think not.

Daniel.

ah thanks a lot! thank you inha for that [/tex]! and thank you nylex for that explanation! i never knew that it didn't apply when n = -1.. now that i look in my textbook, it does specify that.. though wrongly.. it says when n = 1 (checking in another book, shows that it is indeed when n = -1)

but what do you mean to have [tex] \frac {1} {v^2} [/tex] in one member and [tex] \frac {1} {v} [/tex] in another? i don't understand at all. (what's a member, first of all?)

and thanks whozum for the proper rendition in latex! but why is it [tex] \int \frac{dv}{v^2} = \frac{-1}{v} [/tex] and not [tex] \int \frac{dv}{v^2} = - \frac{1}{v} [/tex]? i know that both actually mean the same thing but when i do the calculation i reach [tex] \int \frac{dv}{v^2} = \frac{1}{-v} [/tex].. which means that i may doing something wrong so, just in case.. i'll write out how i do it and if you could be so kind, could you point out where i went wrong?

[tex] \int \frac{dv}{v^2}
= \int \frac{1}{v^2} dv
= \int (v^-2) dv
= \frac{v^-1}{-1}
= \frac {\frac{1}{v}} {\frac{-1}{1}}
= \frac{-1}{v} [/tex]

i guess this is where the difference is? [tex] \frac{1}{-1} [/tex] instead of [tex] \frac{-1}{1} [/tex]? does it matter? i haven't done any maths for a long long time and i have no idea if it does or not..

** by the way, why is it that the "1" is not in superscript in [tex] \frac{v^-1}{-1}[/tex]?

Last edited:
The answers you gave are identical and both correct. To superscript it, put { } about the exponential argument

a^{apples} = [tex] a^{apples} [/tex]

thanks! :)

The general formula, by the way is that the anti-derivative of [tex]x^n[/tex] is
[tex]\frac{1}{n+1}x^{n+1}+ C[/tex] unless n+1= 0 (since we can't have 1/0) . That happens, of course, when n= -1. The anti-derivative of [tex]x^{-1}= \frac{1}{x}[/tex] is ln|x|. There are a variety of ways to show that- the simplest is to define ln|x| in that way.

1. What is the formula for integrating dx/dv^2?

The formula for integrating dx/dv^2 is ∫(1/v^2) dx = - 1/v + C.

2. What is the purpose of integrating dx/dv^2?

The purpose of integrating dx/dv^2 is to find the function that, when differentiated, will give us the given value of dx/dv^2.

3. Can all functions of dx/dv^2 be integrated?

No, not all functions of dx/dv^2 can be integrated. Some functions may not have a closed form solution and require advanced techniques such as numerical methods.

4. What are the common techniques used to integrate dx/dv^2?

The common techniques used to integrate dx/dv^2 include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions.

5. How is integrating dx/dv^2 related to finding the anti-derivative?

Integrating dx/dv^2 is the reverse process of differentiation, which is finding the anti-derivative. It involves finding the original function when given its derivative, dx/dv^2.