Integrating Problem: Spherical Coordinates

• Thread starter georg gill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary, the integral given is solved by using spherical integration and applying integration by parts to solve for the limit as p approaches infinity. The final solution should be a positive value, not a negative one.
georg gill

Homework Statement

Integrate:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-2\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}dxdydz[/tex]

hint: use spherical integration

Homework Equations

[tex]p=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}[/tex]

[tex]dV=dp d\phi p sin\phi p d\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi}e^{-2p} p^2 sin\phi d\theta d\phi dp[/tex]

look at integration for p since it is the most hard one first:

Integration by parts:

[tex]sin\phi\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-2p} p^2 dp[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-2p} p^2 dp=[\frac{e^{-2p}}{-2} p^2+\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-2p}pdp]^{\infty}_0[/tex] (I)

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-2p}pdp=[\frac{e^{-2p}}{-2}p+\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-2p}dp]^{\infty}_0=[\frac{e^{-2p}}{-2}p+\frac{e^{-2p}}{-2}]^{\infty}_0[/tex]

and (I) becomes:

[tex][\frac{e^{-2p}}{-2} p^2+\frac{e^{-2p}}{-2}p+\frac{e^{-2p}}{-2}]^{\infty}_0[/tex]

but here i get infinity in numerator and denumerator for [tex]p=\infty[/tex]. How do I solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you get infinity in the numerator as well as in the denumerator you should check which one goes to infinity fastest. In this case, p^2 approaches infinity much slower then e^(2p), so your fraction will become zero for p=infinity.

mxmt said:
If you get infinity in the numerator as well as in the denumerator you should check which one goes to infinity fastest. In this case, p^2 approaches infinity much slower then e^(2p), so your fraction will become zero for p=infinity.

Right. You can verify this by using l'Hopital's rule on p^2/e^(2*p).

Dick said:
Right. You can verify this by using l'Hopital's rule on p^2/e^(2*p).

I thought L'hopitals said what the limit was and that the limit said what value it was approaching as it went to that value. I just get confused in the accuracy of L'hopitals. Is it totally accurate in defining value of fraction?

georg gill said:
I thought L'hopitals said what the limit was and that the limit said what value it was approaching as it went to that value. I just get confused in the accuracy of L'hopitals. Is it totally accurate in defining value of fraction?

Your sentence "I thought L'hopitals said what the limit was and that the limit said what value it was approaching as it went to that value" is 100% incomprehensible. I don't know why you are worried about the "accuracy" of L'Hopital's rule: it is a rigorously proven theorem, not just some rule of thumb or heuristic; when it is applicable at all it is absolutely accurate, always.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Your sentence "I thought L'hopitals said what the limit was and that the limit said what value it was approaching as it went to that value" is 100% incomprehensible. I don't know why you are worried about the "accuracy" of L'Hopital's rule: it is a rigorously proven theorem, not just some rule of thumb or heuristic; when it is applicable at all it is absolutely accurate, always.

RGV

Good to know. I guess my worries was that a limit gives value as it approaches a given x. If this function was not continuous then then it could have had a different value for x which is here infinity. But L'hopitals assumes continuity since it assumes that function is differentiable

[tex][\frac{e^{-2p}}{-2} p^2+\frac{e^{-2p}}{-2}p+\frac{e^{-2p}}{-2}]^{\infty}_0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{e^{-2\infty}}{-2} (\infty)^2+\frac{e^{-2\infty}}{-2}\infty+\frac{e^{-2\infty}}{-2}-\frac{e^{-20}}{-2} 0^2+\frac{e^{-2\cdot 0}}{-2}0+\frac{e^{-2\cdot 0}}{-2}[/tex]

[tex]-\frac{e^{-2\cdot 0}}{2}[/tex]

Is it right that this integral could be negative? It is easier to see when integrals should be negative when they are in the plain. Is there any way of telling when it should be negative in the space?

georg gill said:
Good to know. I guess my worries was that a limit gives value as it approaches a given x. If this function was not continuous then then it could have had a different value for x which is here infinity. But L'hopitals assumes continuity since it assumes that function is differentiable

[tex]\frac{e^{-2\infty}}{-2} (\infty)^2+\frac{e^{-2\infty}}{-2}\infty+\frac{e^{-2\infty}}{-2}-\frac{e^{-20}}{-2} 0^2+\frac{e^{-2\cdot 0}}{-2}0+\frac{e^{-2\cdot 0}}{-2}[/tex]

[tex]-\frac{e^{-2\cdot 0}}{2}[/tex]

Is it right that this integral could be negative? It is easier to see when integrals should be negative when they are in the plain. Is there any way of telling when it should be negative in the space?

It shouldn't be negative. You are integrating a positive function. It's negative because you are missing a sign. Check it again. And it's not a good idea to substitute 'infinity' into an expression f(p). What you mean is 'lim p -> infinity f(p)'. And I think you also may have dropped a factor of 1/2 on one of the terms.

Related to Integrating Problem: Spherical Coordinates

1. What are spherical coordinates and how are they different from Cartesian coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of locating points in three-dimensional space using a radial distance, an azimuth angle, and an inclination angle. They differ from Cartesian coordinates, which use x, y, and z coordinates, in that they are based on a sphere rather than a flat plane.

2. How do you convert from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ), use the following formulas:
- r = √(x² + y² + z²)
- θ = arctan(y/x)
- φ = arccos(z/r)

3. Can spherical coordinates be used to solve problems involving three-dimensional shapes and volumes?

Yes, spherical coordinates can be used to solve problems involving three-dimensional shapes and volumes. They are particularly useful for solving problems involving spherical objects, such as spheres, cones, and cylinders.

4. What are some real-world applications of spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are commonly used in fields such as astronomy, physics, and engineering. They are used to describe the positions of objects in space, calculate distances between celestial bodies, and model the behavior of waves and particles.

5. Is it possible to convert from spherical coordinates back to Cartesian coordinates?

Yes, it is possible to convert from spherical coordinates back to Cartesian coordinates. The inverse formulas are:
- x = r sin φ cos θ
- y = r sin φ sin θ
- z = r cos φ