Integrating product of bessel function,

In summary, the conversation is about trying to integrate a Bessel function to simulate an airy pattern in Matlab. The integral involves changing the function to csc(x) and using numerical integration due to the presence of dx instead of d(sinx). The speaker thanks the person for their suggestion of using numerical integration.
thomitsu
Hallo there. I m trying to integrate a bessel function but with no great success... I thing it can't be calculated..
I m trying to simulate the airy pattern of a certain aperture radius and wavelength in matlab.

the integral is : int (besselj(1,16981.9*sin(x)))^2/ sin(x) dx

where you can change 1/sinx to csc(x) so the integral becomes

int csc(x)*(besselj(1,16981.9*sin(x)))^2 dx x from 0 to 0.0002257

the problem is that there is dx and not d(sinx) ( it whould be easy then..)

any ideas how can I do this??

thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
:):):)

thank you!

1. What is a Bessel function?

A Bessel function is a mathematical function that is used to describe oscillatory phenomena, such as vibrations or waves. It was first introduced by the mathematician Daniel Bernoulli in the 18th century and is named after the physicist Friedrich Bessel.

2. How are Bessel functions used in science?

Bessel functions are used in a wide range of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They have applications in areas such as acoustics, electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and signal processing. They are also useful in solving differential equations and modeling real-world phenomena.

3. What is the product of Bessel functions?

The product of Bessel functions refers to the multiplication of two or more Bessel functions. This can be represented mathematically as an integral or a series. The product of Bessel functions is often encountered in physical problems involving spherical or cylindrical symmetry.

4. How is the product of Bessel functions integrated?

The integration of the product of Bessel functions can be a complicated process, as it involves manipulating integrals or series. In general, the integration can be solved using various techniques, such as integration by parts or substitution. However, for more complex integrands, numerical methods may be necessary.

5. What are some practical applications of integrating the product of Bessel functions?

The integration of the product of Bessel functions has practical applications in fields such as optics, acoustics, and electromagnetic theory. For example, it can be used to calculate the diffraction patterns of light passing through small apertures or to model the behavior of acoustic waves in cylindrical or spherical cavities. It can also be used to solve boundary-value problems in engineering and physics.