1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating the function √(12 -x^2)

1. Oct 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Integrate the function,

f(x) = √(12 -x2)

2. Relevant equations

n/a

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried splitting the function up as follows:

f(x) = √(12+x)*√(12-x)

then I tried substituting in,

w=12-x and dw=-dx, to get,

∫-2w3/2(2√12-w)1/2dw

and finally I attempted to use integration by parts on the above integral; however this seems to be a dead end. I know the answer is:

1/2*√(-x^2 + 12)*x + 6*arcsin(1/6*sqrt(3)*x)

I just can't seem to work it out for myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Chris

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For [itex]\displaystyle \int\sqrt{12-x^2}\,dx[/itex] use the substitution x = (√12)sin(u), then dx = (√12)cos(u) du .

Then [itex]\displaystyle \sqrt{12-x^2}=\sqrt{12-12\sin^2(u)}\,, [/itex] etc.

4. Oct 21, 2011 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

As SammyS says, a trig substitution is the way to go here. Since I don't try to remember which trig substitution should be applied, I just sketch a right triangle, labeling the sides and hypotenuse according to the expression inside the radical.

The expression 12 - x2 suggests that the hypotenuse is of length √12, and I can label the altitude as x, and the angle opposite the altitude as θ.

From this I get sin(θ) = x/√12, or x = √12*sin(θ), which is essentially the same as what SammyS is recommending.

5. Oct 22, 2011 #4
    Thanks Sammy and Mark,

Will give it a go. Also, I think Mark's the first person I've encountered who's actually given a methodology for determining an appropriate substitution. Thanks :)

Regards,

Chris

6. Oct 22, 2011 #5
    Well...

It would seem I have fried my brain with the late nights spent trying to work this out. So far I've got;

∫cos3u.du

and once again, I know the answer (=1/3*sin3u +sinu), but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get there. Is having the function in the form cos3u the right way to go? I swear I'm overlooking something blindingly obvious here.

Regards,

Chris

7. Oct 22, 2011 #6
    OK,

Well now I'm trying to use the trig identity cos3x = 4cos3x -3cosx

Sound like the right way to go?

Regards,

Chris

8. Oct 22, 2011 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That should work fine, but aren't you integrating cos2(u).

9. Oct 22, 2011 #8
    Well now I'm not to sure. After substituting in,

x = √12*sin(u)

I got,

dx = √12*cos(u)du

Putting both of these back into the integral I then had,

∫√(12 -12*sin2(u))*√12*cos(u)du

=∫√(12(1 -sin2(u))*√12*cos(u)du

using the trig identity, cos2(u) +sin2(u) = 1

I then realised whilst writing this that I didn't take the square root of the first cos term. Need sleep.....

Thanks Sammy

Regards,

Chris

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook