Integrating x^3/(1+x^2) from 0 to 1.48766439

  • Thread starter Thread starter Swerting
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bounded Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Swerting
Messages
35
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have to take an integral of [tex]x^3/(1+x^2)[/tex] from zero to 1.48766439...(I have the number).


Homework Equations


None really.


The Attempt at a Solution


Well, I tried and tried, and I could not find a single way to separate the top from the bottom. Also, I tried u substitution of both [tex]x^3[/tex] and [tex]1+x^2[/tex] but it never seemed to work out. I'm not sure if this would be good for integration of parts, since I believe that one must be able to be integrated multiple times, such as [tex]e^x[/tex], so any nudge in the right direction would help. I have the correct answer, I just would like to be able to know how to get to it. Thank you for your time.

-Swerting
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing it as x^2*x/(1+x^2). Now substitute u=1+x^2. Replace the x^2 in the numerator by u-1. Do you see it now?
 
Ah yes! I completely forgot about that! Thank you very much, I do believe I have it now!