1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration along circular path

1. Feb 10, 2006 #1
    Hi, I'm having trouble with two integrals.

\int\limits_{\left| z \right| = 1}^{} {\frac{{e^z }}{{z^n }}dz}

\int\limits_{\left| z \right| = 1}^{} {\frac{{\cosh z}}{{z^3 }}} dz

For first one I wrote

[tex]\frac{{e^z }}{{z^n }} = \frac{{e^z }}{{\left( {z - 0} \right)z^n }} = \frac{{f\left( z \right)}}{{\left( {z - 0} \right)}}[/tex].

The main theorem which was covered in the relevant theory section was Cauchy's integral formula. By inspection f(z) is not even differentiable at z = 0 because it isn't continuous there? So can I even apply the integral formula?

Ignoring that, if n <=0 then f(z) = exp(z)z^(1-n) = 0 for z = 0. So the integral is zero for n <=0. But what about for n > 0? There's a factorial in the answer. I don't really know what to do because ofr n > 0 then f(z) = exp(z)/z^(positive power) so if I plug in z = 0 I get an undefined answer.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

HINT: Do a Taylor series expansion of the integrand about z = 0 and the integral will be the coefficient of the 1/z term (within a factor of [itex]2\pi i[/tex]).
  4. Feb 11, 2006 #3
    Ok I'll try that, thanks for the help. I made a slight error in my working for the first one. it should be (exp(z))/(z^n) = (exp(z))/((z-0)z^(n-1)) = f(z)/(z-0).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?