Integration application, force due to fluid pressure

In summary, integration application is a method that uses mathematical integration to determine the total force exerted on an object by a fluid due to its pressure. This is important in many engineering and scientific fields, as fluid pressure plays a crucial role in the behavior and stability of objects in fluid environments. The force due to fluid pressure is calculated by multiplying the pressure at a specific point on an object's surface by the area of that point and integrating the results. The equation for calculating this force is F = ∫PdA, where F is the total force, P is the pressure at a point, and dA is the differential area element. The direction of fluid pressure affects the total force by determining whether it is in the same direction as the
dimpledur

Homework Statement

I'm working on a particular problem that involves the force on a face of a triangular prism under water. What I am wondering is if someone could explain how to find dA for the prism? If the prism is an equilateral triangle, then [tex]dA=\sqrt3dy[/tex] doesn't it? My book is showing that the area is [tex]2\sqrt3ydy[/tex] and I really cannot see how...

Physics news on Phys.org
I understand that the thickness is sqrt(3)dy, but I can't seem to visualize how the width is 2y and thus dA=sqrt(3)2y dy

1. What is integration application in terms of force due to fluid pressure?

Integration application refers to the use of mathematical integration to solve for the total force exerted on an object by a fluid due to its pressure. This integration takes into account the varying pressure at different points on the object's surface.

2. How is the force due to fluid pressure calculated?

The force due to fluid pressure is calculated by multiplying the pressure at a specific point on an object's surface by the area of that point. This calculation is then repeated for all points on the surface, and the results are integrated to find the total force.

3. What is the equation for calculating force due to fluid pressure?

The equation for calculating force due to fluid pressure is F = ∫PdA, where F is the total force, P is the pressure at a point, and dA is the differential area element over which the integration is performed.

4. What is the importance of considering fluid pressure in integration applications?

Considering fluid pressure in integration applications is crucial in many engineering and scientific fields, such as fluid mechanics, aeronautics, and hydraulics. This is because fluid pressure is a significant factor in determining the behavior and stability of objects in fluid environments.

5. How does the direction of fluid pressure affect the total force?

The direction of fluid pressure affects the total force by determining whether the force is in the same direction as the object's motion or opposite to it. If the pressure is acting perpendicular to the object's surface, the force is in the same direction as the object's motion. However, if the pressure is acting at an angle to the surface, the force will have a component that is opposite to the object's motion.