1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by parts and approximation by power series

1. Sep 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An object of mass m is initially at rest and is subject to a time-dependent force given by F = kte^(-λt), where k and λ are constants.
    a) Find v(t) and x(t).
    b) Show for small t that v = 1/2 *k/m t^2 and x = 1/6 *k/m t^3.
    c) Find the object’s terminal velocity.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I showed my work for finding v(t) and getting the approximation for v(t) for small t. but Im missing the 1/2 at the front and I cant seem to find where it comes from.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps you need to further develop ##e^{-\lambda t}## ? The term linear in ##t## cancels, so you need to develop up to ##t^2##

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  4. Sep 15, 2016 #3
    but if I include a t^2 term then I end up with a t^3 term that doesnt cancel

5. Sep 15, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. So the outcome will be correct up to order ##t^2##. .

6. Sep 15, 2016 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can also do the development before the integration: ## t\;e^{-\lambda t}= t -\lambda t^2 ## and ignore higher orders

7. Sep 15, 2016 #6
    Thanks for your help, i got the right answer. But can you help me understand something, why is it enough to include only up to the t^1 term before the integration, but after the integration we have to include the t^2 term?

8. Sep 15, 2016 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Integration increases order of ##t## by one" is the answer that comes to mind. But I agree with you that it makes a weird impression.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted