1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration By Parts and Substitution

1. Sep 18, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Integration By Parts and Substitution

Short background; Took Calc 1 my senior year in highschool. Got As all 4 quarters and found it quite easy. Freshman year comes around and I sign up for Calc 2. Turns out the only teacher teaching Calculus 2 for my fall and spring semester is a horrible teacher who doesn't care about his students. So I decided to wait until my Sophomore year to take Calc 2.

So fast forward; I am picking up on all the new techniques and what have you, but I keep forgetting all the old, little essential things because of that year off.

So heres the problem;

[tex]\int\pi^{\sqrt{x}}dx[/tex]

Solve using integration by parts. At the bottom of the problem my professor gave a hint saying "You may like to do a substitution first."

And I'm stumped. I haven't used substitution at all in the past 15 months.

The only substitution I can think of is [tex]{\sqrt{x}}=m[/tex], but that is of no use.

Thanks in advance. =P

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2007 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well,

[tex]\pi^{\sqrt{x}} = e^{\sqrt{x} \, \ln \pi}[/tex]

And maybe the substitution u=\sqrt{x} from here?

4. Sep 18, 2007 #3
    Played around with it for a while, didn't find anything. Not saying your wrong tho, I'm probably wrong.

5. Sep 18, 2007 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I decided to use the substitution [itex]u=\ln(\pi)\sqrt{x}[/itex] instead, but that doesn't really matter. This transforms the integral into

[tex] \frac{2}{(\ln{\pi})^2} \int u e^u du. [/tex]

And from here it's an easy application of integration by parts.

6. Sep 18, 2007 #5
    lol thanks for the help. But this is the part I don't remember how to do. Can't figure out how to get from
    [tex]\int{\pi^\sqrt{x}}\ dx[/tex]
    to
    [tex] \frac{2}{(\ln{\pi})^2} \int u e^u du. [/tex]

7. Sep 18, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

pi^(sqrt(x))=exp(ln(pi)*sqrt(x)). Then u=ln(pi)*sqrt(x), du=ln(pi)*dx/(2*sqrt(x)). Please check this and then try to continue.

8. Sep 18, 2007 #7
    [tex]u=ln\pi\sqrt{x}[/tex]
    [tex]du=\frac{ln\pi dx}{2\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

If I'm not wrong, that substitution would require;

[tex]\int\frac{ln\pi}{2\sqrt{x}} e^\sqrt{x}ln\pi[/tex]

I can account for the [tex]\frac{ln\pi}{2}[/tex] but I don't remember how to get the [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}[/tex] before the e in the integral so that you can apply the du.

9. Sep 18, 2007 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are wrong. The integral is exp(u)*dx. Would you please solve for dx in terms of u and du so we can get on with this? Sorry to be snappy, it's getting late.

10. Sep 19, 2007 #9
    Still drawing a blank.

And I've never seen the term exp(u). I was thinking of it as e^(u) but the more I play with the numbers the more I see I'm wrong.

11. Sep 19, 2007 #10

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

exp(u) is indeed just e^u.

We have:
    du=ln(pi)*dx/(2*sqrt(x))

and

u=ln(pi)*sqrt(x).

It shouldn't be hard to write dx in terms of u and du.

12. Sep 20, 2007 #11
    Okay, pretty sure I got it. Like I said, I was just forgetting simple little substitution rules.

Thanks.

13. Sep 20, 2007 #12
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  14. Sep 20, 2007 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so u*e^u-e^u is ok. But you've lost all of the multiplicative constants like ln(pi) and 2. Where did they go?

15. Sep 20, 2007 #14

Ahhhh. Thank you very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?