Integration by parts (Laplace transform)

In summary, the conversation is about solving the Laplace Transform for a given formula. The person asking for help is struggling with integration and has tried using the tabular method but is not making progress. Another person suggests using the product rule and integrating the product of an exponential and a trig function. The first person realizes that the solution was right in front of them and another person suggests using the complex exponential as a shortcut.
Speedo
First off, I hope these images show up - I don't have time to figure out this latex stuff atm, so it's easier just to throw the formulae together in openoffice.

I'm working on the Laplace Transform for
http://home.directus.net/jrc748/f.gif

Which is obviously
http://home.directus.net/jrc748/l1.gif

Now, in case somebody brings it up, I know that we can look up the answer in the table of basic Laplace transforms as
http://home.directus.net/jrc748/l2.gif

But if I could get off that easy, I wouldn't be asking this question, would I? ;)

My main problem is that I'm fairly rusty on integration, so I'm probably missing something small. I'd picked out
http://home.directus.net/jrc748/uv.gif
and was attempting the tabular method, but I'm not getting anywhere. It's looking to me like no matter what you pick for u or dv you'll be doing integration by parts forever, since you're stuck with e^t and sin.
Just need some hints to kick start the thought process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The usual trick when it comes to integrating a product of an exponential and a trig function by parts is that you will get the original integral again. So for example if we let the original integral be I then we will reach a step that looks like:
I = (some stuff) + kI => I = (some stuff)/(1 - k)

Maybe this could help you.

I haven't actually written the working out but I would try...

[tex]
e^{ - st} t\sin \left( {at} \right) = t\left( {e^{ - st} \sin \left( {at} \right)} \right)
[/tex]

The t is quite pesky so get rid of it by using parts, differentiate the t and integrate the exponential and sine product (*). You'll be left with some complicated product (which you don't need to deal with) plus or minus some integral involving products of exponentials and sines or cosines. That should be easy to integrate.

(*) integrating the product of an exponential and sine (or cosine) should be standard procedure considering the level that you're at.

Yep, that's the ticket. I figured it was right under my nose.

A shortcut that is also much easier is to use the complex exponential:
[tex]\int_0^\infty te^{-(s-ia)t}dt[/tex]
Your integral is just the imaginary part of this. As a side bonus you also get the Laplace transform of [itex]t\cos(at)[/itex] by taking the real part.

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a mathematical technique used to evaluate integrals that involve products of two functions. It is based on the product rule of differentiation and involves breaking down the integral into smaller parts and applying a specific formula to solve it.

2. What is the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems in the frequency domain.

3. How is integration by parts used in Laplace transforms?

In the Laplace transform, integration by parts can be used to simplify the integral of a function by breaking it down into smaller parts and applying the Laplace transform to each part. This can be helpful when the original function is complex or difficult to integrate.

4. What is the formula for integration by parts in Laplace transforms?

The formula for integration by parts in Laplace transforms is: ∫u(t)v(t)dt = u(t)v(t) - ∫v(t)du(t), where u(t) and v(t) are two functions of time. This formula is derived from the product rule of differentiation and allows for the integration of products of functions.

5. What are the benefits of using integration by parts in Laplace transforms?

Integration by parts in Laplace transforms can simplify complex integrals and make them easier to solve. It can also be used to transform differential equations into algebraic equations, making them easier to analyze. Additionally, it can be used to find solutions to problems that may be difficult to solve using other methods.