1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of Laplace transform

1. Apr 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the inverse transform of the function

[tex] F(s) = log\frac{s-2}{s+2} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex] L(\frac{f(t)}{t}) = \int^{∞}_{s}F(x)dx [/tex]

[tex] f(t) = tL^{-1}(\int^{∞}_{s}F(x)dx)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I missed the lecture on this and while I was able to figure out differentiation of transforms I've been unable to get this right. The textbook introduces the definition with the conditions necessary for the Laplace transform of f(t)/t, states the two formulas above, gives one example and then finishes the section.

[tex] L^{-1}(log(\frac{s-2}{s+2})) [/tex]

[tex] tL^{-1}(\int^{∞}_{s}log(\frac{x-2}{x+2}) dx) [/tex]

The main problem I'm having here is with the integrand.

[tex] log(x-2) - log(x+2) [/tex]

I can easily integrate any of the two with integration by parts. Since both parts are similar, I'll just pick log(s-2).

Letting u = log(x-2) and dv = 1

[tex] [xlog(x-2)]^{∞}_{s} - \int^{∞}_{s}\frac{x}{x-2} [/tex]

The amount of problems coming up by doing this is making me think I'm applying the Laplace transform wrong. If I go back now and look at the entire thing:

[tex] tL^{-1}(\int^{∞}_{s}\frac{-x}{x-2} dx + [xlog(x-2)]^{∞}_{s} - \int^{∞}_{s}log(x+2) dx ) [/tex]

The first term integrates into x + 2log(x-2). I have no idea how to apply the inverse Laplace tranform to a logarithm though and judging by the previous sections and problems, I'm not supposed to.

Even if I figured out how to somehow apply the inverse Laplace transform to the first term, the second term diverges when evaluating the limits of integration.

I figure I'm going at this completely wrong somewhere in the beginning, but where?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2013 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The integral for the inverse transform of a logarithm is hard to do, but the integral for ##1/(s-a)## is much easier. Try to find a formula for the inverse transform of ##F'(s)## if ##F(s)## is the Laplace transform of ##f(t)##. You should be able to find the right formula by differentiating the usual integral expression for ##F(s)##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted