1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration (fromula of reduction)

1. Aug 17, 2013 #1
    Referring to the paint document. Could they have easily changed m into m + 2 or m + 1.5? Or does it have to contain the variable m and n?

Attached Files:

• Var.jpg
      Var.jpg
      File size:
      19.2 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2013 #2
    Also, in the original equation (Equation 1 of the paint document) why did they chose the power of x to be (m-1)? Why not just leave it as m?

Therefore we would get the equation

∫xmXpdx = Xpxm+1/(m+1) - bnp/(m+1)∫xm+n + 1Xp-1dx

and therefore if we wanted to solve for the integral of say x2√(1+x) then the value of m is 2 and the value of n is 1 and the value of p is 1/2

which saves you a step in solving for m: m-1 = 2 and m = 3, if we used the equation that they started with which was

∫xmXpdx = Xpxm+1/(m+1) - bnp/(m+1)∫xm+n + 1Xp-1dx where m is equal to m-1

4. Aug 17, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not sure I understand your question.
    You can make any of those substitutions as long as you are consistent. They chose m-n because it gave the form they were after on the LHS.
    Wrt m v. m-1, using m-1 on the LHS of (1) makes the equation as a whole slightly simpler.

5. Aug 18, 2013 #4
    Say I was asked to solve the integral of x2/(x^2 + 1)1/2

then I have:

∫x2/(x^2 + 1)1/2dx = ∫d{(x2+1)}1/2/dx*x*dx
    =(x2+1)1/2*x - ∫(x2+1)dx.

On the LHS can I change the power of x in the numerator from 2 to 2 - m so long as I make the correct changes on RHS?

Because that is what they essentially did

6. Aug 18, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, changing a constant to a variable is rather more drastic. You might have made use of specific attributes of the constant in arriving at the equation. All they did was a change of variable, but using the same name for the new variable.

7. Aug 18, 2013 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it is not what they did---and you cannot do it, either. 2 is 2 and you cannot re-write it as something else.

In expanded form, what they did was, essentially, to first re-name m as m'-n, and rename p as p'+1, then remove the primes so that they can write m instead of m' and p instead of p'. They are not actually changing anything; they are simply re-naming things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted