Integration: inverse trigonometric functions

In summary, integration of inverse trigonometric functions involves finding the antiderivative of these functions, which can be done using techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. This process can be helpful in solving integrals involving inverse trigonometric functions, as well as in finding the area under curves that involve these functions. It is important to consider the domains and ranges of the inverse trigonometric functions when performing integration, as well as any potential issues with undefined values.
Maddie1609

Homework Statement

∫(t/√(1-t4))dt

Homework Equations

∫(du/√(a2 - u2)) = arcsin (u/a) + C

∫(du/(a2 + u2) = (1/a) arctan (u/a)

∫(du/(u√(u2 - a2))) = (1/a) arcsec (|u|/a)

The Attempt at a Solution

Screenshot_2015-09-13-14-47-36.png

Edit: I meant to write u where t2 is[/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That is not a proper way to write an integral. You should express t in terms of u.
##dt=\frac{dt}{2t}=\frac{dt}{2\sqrt{u}}##.
But this does not make the integral easy.
Instead, have you tried expressing it as $$\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{1+t^2+1-t^2}{\sqrt{(1+t^2)(1-t^2)}}dt$$

Titan97 said:
That is not a proper way to write an integral. You should express t in terms of u.
Instead, have you tried expressing it as $$\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{1+t^2+1-t^2}{\sqrt{(1+t^2)(1-t^2)}}dt$$
I edited under that I meant to replace t2 with u :) No, but I wouldn't know what to do with it anyway?

My guess is that that integral does not have a solution in terms of the usual functions.

stevendaryl said:
My guess is that that integral does not have a solution in terms of the usual functions.
In the back of my book it says the answer is (1/2) arcsin (t2) + C, but I don't know how to get there :-/

Titan97 said:
Screenshot_2015-09-13-15-19-06.png

What can I do next?

Maddie1609 said:
In the back of my book it says the answer is (1/2) arcsin (t2) + C, but I don't know how to get there :-/

Hmm. Is it possible that there is a typo in your original integral? I get that answer if the original integral was as shown on the left-hand side below:

[itex]\int \dfrac{t dt}{\sqrt{1-t^4}} = \frac{1}{2} arcsin(t^2)[/itex]

stevendaryl said:
Hmm. Is it possible that there is a typo in your original integral? I get that answer if the original integral was as shown on the left-hand side below:

[itex]\int \dfrac{t dt}{\sqrt{1-t^4}} = \frac{1}{2} arcsin(t^2)[/itex]
Yes that is the integral, did I not write it correctly in my original post? How do you get your equations to look like that?o0)
Edit: I just saw I wrote 1 instead of t, so sorry!

Use LaTeX

Likes Maddie1609
Maddie1609 said:
Yes that is the integral, did I not write it correctly in my original post? How do you get your equations to look like that?o0)
Edit: I just saw I wrote 1 instead of t, so sorry!

To prove that, you make the substitution:

[itex]t = \sqrt{u}[/itex]

then the integral in terms of [itex]u[/itex] should be one of the ones you listed in your first post.

stevendaryl said:
To prove that, you make the substitution:

[itex]t = \sqrt{u}[/itex]

then the integral in terms of [itex]u[/itex] should be one of the ones you listed in your first post.
Think I got it, thanks :smile:

Screenshot_2015-09-13-15-36-37.png

1. What are inverse trigonometric functions?

Inverse trigonometric functions are mathematical functions that can be used to find the angle associated with a given trigonometric ratio. For example, if we know the sine of an angle, we can use the inverse sine function to find the angle itself.

2. How are inverse trigonometric functions related to integration?

Inverse trigonometric functions are commonly used in integration to help solve trigonometric integrals. By using the inverse trigonometric identities, we can simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

3. What is the derivative of an inverse trigonometric function?

The derivative of an inverse trigonometric function is the reciprocal of the derivative of the corresponding trigonometric function. For example, the derivative of the inverse sine function is 1/cos(x), which is the reciprocal of the derivative of the sine function.

4. How do we integrate inverse trigonometric functions?

The integration of inverse trigonometric functions can be done by using substitution, where we substitute the given trigonometric ratio with the corresponding inverse trigonometric function. We can also use integration by parts for more complex integrals.

5. Are there any special rules for integrating inverse trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are some special rules for integrating inverse trigonometric functions. For example, when integrating inverse sine and inverse tangent functions, we must add a constant of integration to the result. Also, when integrating the inverse cosine function, we must use the absolute value of the inverse cosine instead of just the inverse cosine itself.