1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration involving partial fraction

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I want to check the answer to this question.

⌠ 2 x dx / (x+1) (x+2)
    ⌡ 1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For partial fraction I got A= -1 and B = 2

My final answer is -ln 2 + ln4 - ln3 = ln 4/ ln2 * ln 3

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2012 #2
    There is a more important question at hand. Do you understand the order of operations?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  4. Apr 14, 2012 #3
    Yes. I just need to check the answer.

5. Apr 14, 2012 #4
    Judging by your problem statement, I can't be too sure.

Also, are you sure ln(a) + ln(b) = ln(a)ln(b)?

6. Apr 14, 2012 #5
    This line doesn't make any sense to me. :/ Regardless, the answer is incorrect on the left hand side. Show us what integral you got when you split the partial fraction up (A=-1 and B=2 doesn't mean much if we don't know what term they are over). Then show us the anti-differentiated equation. You went wrong somewhere in there. Also, as Roshan has noticed, you don't quite seem to know how to manipulate logs.

These operations are valid: [itex]log(a)+log(b)=log(a*b); \quad log(a)-log(b)= \displaystyle log\left(\frac{a}{b}\right)[/itex].

Parentheses are VERY important when typing math online. You first statement when read at face value says [itex]\displaystyle \int_1^2 \frac{x\ \ dx\
    (x+2)}{x+1}[/itex] which is obviously not what you meant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook