Integration of 1 / [sqrt(f(x))+g(x)] ?

• Thread starter lavoisier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
Hi everyone, today I came across a problem at work that requires integrating a function with respect to c. k, p, and c are all real and positive. The user submitted it to Maxima for integration, but it stayed implicit. They received the suggestion to first rationalize the denominator, then use an appropriate trigonometric substitution to solve it. After trying this, the user successfully obtained the result, which involves logarithms, a square root, a linear term in c, and inverse hyperbolic functions.
lavoisier
Hi everyone, today I came across a problem at work that requires integrating this function (indefinitely, with respect to c):

[itex]\frac {1} {\sqrt {(k+p-c)^2 + 4 k c}-k-p+c}[/itex]

k, p and c are all real and positive.

I submitted it to Maxima, but it stayed implicit.

Can you please suggest any substitution or other technique to solve it?

Thanks
L

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First rationalize the denominator: so try to bring the square root to the numerator by multiplying with ##\sqrt{(k+p-c)^2 + 4kc} + k + p - c##. Then an appropriate trigonometric substitution (like ##x = \tan(u)## or similar) will help.

Likes lavoisier
Thank you micromass, it worked!
I multiplied both numerator and denominator by the factor you said, expanded, and got this:

[itex]\frac {\sqrt {(k+p-c)^2 + 4 k c}+k+p-c} {4 k c}[/itex]

which I submitted to Maxima's integrate function, and I got the result.
Apologies for not writing it down, it's a long sum of logarithms, a square root, a linear term in c and asinh functions.
I don't exactly see how integrating this must involve inverse hyperbolic functions, except perhaps for the known relationship:

[itex]asinh(x)=Ln(\sqrt{1+x^2}+x)[/itex]

Anyway, it does the job, so...
Thanks!
L

1. What is the purpose of integrating 1 / [sqrt(f(x))+g(x)]?

The purpose of integrating 1 / [sqrt(f(x))+g(x)] is to find the area under the curve of the given function. Integration is commonly used in mathematics and science to solve problems related to finding areas, volumes, and rates of change.

2. What are the steps involved in integrating 1 / [sqrt(f(x))+g(x)]?

The steps involved in integrating 1 / [sqrt(f(x))+g(x)] are as follows:
1. Use algebraic manipulation to simplify the function
2. Identify the appropriate integration technique (e.g. u-substitution, integration by parts)
3. Apply the integration technique and solve for the integral
4. Check the solution using differentiation
5. Add the constant of integration, if necessary

3. Can integration of 1 / [sqrt(f(x))+g(x)] be used to find the average value of the function?

Yes, integration can be used to find the average value of a function. The average value of a function f(x) over the interval [a,b] is given by the integral of f(x) divided by the length of the interval (b-a).

4. What are some real-life applications of integrating 1 / [sqrt(f(x))+g(x)]?

Integration of 1 / [sqrt(f(x))+g(x)] has various real-life applications such as:
- Calculating the work done by a variable force
- Finding the center of mass of an object
- Predicting population growth and decay
- Determining the volume of irregularly shaped objects
- Analyzing the speed and acceleration of moving objects

5. Are there any limitations to integrating 1 / [sqrt(f(x))+g(x)]?

Yes, there are limitations to integrating 1 / [sqrt(f(x))+g(x)]. Some functions may not have an antiderivative, making it impossible to integrate. In addition, some functions may require advanced techniques or approximations to be integrated accurately. It is important to carefully analyze the function before attempting to integrate it.