1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of 1 / [sqrt(f(x))+g(x)] ?

1. May 26, 2015 #1
    Hi everyone, today I came across a problem at work that requires integrating this function (indefinitely, with respect to c):

[itex]\frac {1} {\sqrt {(k+p-c)^2 + 4 k c}-k-p+c}[/itex]

k, p and c are all real and positive.

I submitted it to Maxima, but it stayed implicit.

Can you please suggest any substitution or other technique to solve it?

Thanks
    L

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

First rationalize the denominator: so try to bring the square root to the numerator by multiplying with ##\sqrt{(k+p-c)^2 + 4kc} + k + p - c##. Then an appropriate trigonometric substitution (like ##x = \tan(u)## or similar) will help.

4. May 27, 2015 #3
    Thank you micromass, it worked!
    I multiplied both numerator and denominator by the factor you said, expanded, and got this:

[itex]\frac {\sqrt {(k+p-c)^2 + 4 k c}+k+p-c} {4 k c}[/itex]

which I submitted to Maxima's integrate function, and I got the result.
    Apologies for not writing it down, it's a long sum of logarithms, a square root, a linear term in c and asinh functions.
    I don't exactly see how integrating this must involve inverse hyperbolic functions, except perhaps for the known relationship:

[itex]asinh(x)=Ln(\sqrt{1+x^2}+x)[/itex]

Anyway, it does the job, so...
    Thanks!
    L

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook