1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of a quotient with a factor in the denominator that has no real root

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

$$\int \frac{x-1}{(x+1)(x^2+1)} dx$$

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought that I would use partial fractions, so:

$$\frac{x-1}{(x+1)(x^2+1)} = \frac{A}{x+1} + \frac{B}{x^2+1}$$
    $$x-1 = A(x^2+1) + B(x+1)$$
    ##x=-1 \Rightarrow (-1)-1 = A((-1)^2+1) + B((-1)+1) = 2A \Rightarrow A = -1##

I don't think my instructor wants me to use complex numbers, but ##\forall x\in\mathbb R, x^2+1 \neq0## and ##x^2+1## is irreducible in ##\mathbb R##.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your decomposition is incorrect. For the second fraction on the right side, use
    $$\frac{Bx + C}{x^2 + 1} $$

4. Oct 22, 2012 #3
    Okay, if I use that, then
    $$\frac {x-1}{(x+1)(x^2+1} = \frac {A}{x+1} + \frac {Bx+C}{x^2+1} \Rightarrow x-1 = A(x^2+1) + (Bx+C)(x+1),$$
    but won't I still need to use the imaginary number ##i##?

5. Oct 22, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You shouldn't need to use the imaginary unit, i .

Simply equate the constant terms and equate coefficients of x and equate coefficients of x2

6. Oct 22, 2012 #5
    If I do you use ##i##, then
    $$x=i \Rightarrow (i)-1 = A((i)^2+1) + (B(i)+C)((i)+1)$$
    $$ = A((-1)+1) + (Bi^2+Bi+Ci+C) = (0) + (-B+Bi+Ci+C)= (B+C)i + (C-B).$$
    Two complex numbers are equal only if both their real and imaginary parts are equal, so
    $$Im(i-1) = 1 = B+C = Im((B+C)i + (C-B)), Re(i-1) = -1 = (C-B) = Re((B+C)i + (C-B)).$$
    The system of equations
    $$1 = B+C$$
    $$-1= -B+C$$
    has solutions ##C=0, B=1##. Then,
    $$\int \frac{x-1}{(x+1)(x^2+1)} dx = -\int \frac{dx}{x+1} + \int \frac{x}{x^2+1} dx = -\ln|x+1|+\frac{1}{2}\ln|x^2+1|+C = ln\frac{\sqrt{x^2+1}}{x+1}+C$$

Does this look right?

I don't quite understand.

Actually, I think I understand now.

$$x-1=A(x^2+1)+(Bx+C)(x+1)=Ax^2+A+(Bx^2+Bx+Cx+C)=(A+B)x^2+(B+C)x+(A+C)$$
    Noticing that ##x-1=0x^2+x-1##, I get the following equalities
    $$0=A+B$$
    $$1=B+C$$
    $$-1=A+C.$$
    If ##A=-1##, then I get the same values for B and C and the same answer to this question as I did when I used ##i## to solve this question.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2012
  7. Oct 22, 2012 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Why don't you check it yourself? If you differentiate what you ended up with, you should get your integrand.
    When you solve for the constants (A, B, and C in this case), the equation x−1=A(x2 +1)+(Bx+C)(x+1) is identically true for all values of x. The only way two polynomials, x - 1, and the one on the right, can be equal is for their corresponding coefficients to be equal. Since x - 1 doesn't have an x2 term (meaning that the coefficient of x2 is 0), the coefficient of x2 on the right has to be 0 as well. On the left, the coefficient of x is 1, so the coefficient of x on the right also has to be 1. Finally, the constant term on the left is -1, which must be the same as the constant term on the right.

You have 3 variables, A, B, and C. Use any values of x to get three equations in these unknowns. Using i is probably more work than it's worth.

8. Oct 22, 2012 #7
    Yeah, I realized that, but it took a while to edit my previous post. Thank you for your help. :)

And it all works out when I differentiate my answer! Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook