1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of a vector with respect to a vector.

1. Jan 14, 2013 #1
    will someone give me an explanation of the process of integration of a vector with respect to another vector. the reason i ask is because in the topic of electricity i am discussing the electric flux of a point charge inside a solid surface. I know that the dot product is related, and i can even see how the limit as the number of subintervals approaches infinity, then Ʃ running from k = 1 to n of the vector f(x*)times the vector(Δx*) times (cosθ ) is equal to the definite integral, it would just take forever to count and and i wouldnt know how to evaluate the integral without knowing the antiderivates, my main concern is integrating from a to b of the electric field dot da, and while on the topic, will someone please explain how area can be a vector please, i know that you can pull out all the constants, but and even the antiderivative of 1/r^2 but i just dont understand the integration and what happens. if that makes sense.

sincerely confused

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should take a course in vector calculus. What you are asking is usually covered over several weeks of such a course.

4. Jan 14, 2013 #3
    oh ok well i wont have that option for a while so is there a recommended book for beginners over vector calc, it doesn't have to be dumbed down, just interpret-able any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook