1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of composite derivative of function

1. Nov 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    While I was in school I thought to see what a function whose derivative is always perpendicular to another functions derivative would look like, so for example for X^2 we have -ln(x)/2.

2. Relevant equations
    Well all those integration tables I guess

3. The attempt at a solution
    Obviously their product is -1, so if were looking for g(x),
    g(x) = ∫(-1/f'(x))dx
    However, I don't seem to be able to integrate this.
    I need to have a ln(f'(x)), who's integral is f''(x)/f'(x), but dividing by f''(x) or try to subtract it just makes things much tougher. This isn't homework, but it would be very nice if I was to be helped. Please don't give solution, just clue.

Thanks, Bonaparte

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It sounds like you are looking for "orthogonal trajectories", a family of curves that are always perpendicular to another, given, family of curves.

Yes, to find the orthogonal trajectories of [itex]y= x^2+ c[/itex], where c is a constant, we differentiate to get [itex]y'= 2x[/itex] and the constant has disappeared. Now, any curve perpendicular to that has [itex]y'= -1/(2x)[/itex] and the integral of that is -(1/2)ln(x)+ C.

On the other hand, if the first family were given by [itex]y= cx^2[/itex], so that the constant is multiplied rather than added, [itex]y'= 2cx[/itex] and to get rid of the constant we have to write [itex]y'/y= 2cx/x^2= 2/x[/itex] so that [itex]y'= 2/(xy)[/itex]. Now to find the orthogonal trajectories, we look at [itex]y'= -2/(xy)[/itex] so that [itex]yy'= -2/x[/itex] or [itex]ydy= (-2/x)dx[/itex] and, integrating [itex](1/2)y^2= -2 ln(x)+ C[/itex].

But there is no general way to solve that problem for all x. It depends to much upon the specific f. "Orthogonal trajectories" is typically a subject for a "Differential Equations" course.

4. Nov 19, 2012 #3
    Could you explain how you got from 2cx/x^2 = 2/x? and then when you had y'/y=2/x, and multiplied both sides by y, how did you get 2/xy? should it not be 2y/x?
    I actually thought you would have 2cx*g'x = -1, g'x=-1/2cx
    gx = (-1/(2c))*ln(x)+C?
    Thanks, Bonaparte

5. Nov 19, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

HofI meant to write [itex]y'/y= 2cx/(cx^2)= 2/x[/itex], so as you say, [itex]y' = 2y/x[/itex]. For the orthogonals I get [itex]y' = -x/(2y)[/itex], leading to ellipses.

6. Apr 12, 2013 #5
    Why is it not possible to deriviate 2cx and relate to c as if it is a constant? So you have y=2cx^2
    y'=(2cx), g'=-1/(2xc), so g= ln((2xc)/-2c'+C, wouldn't this be the answer?

Thanks, you are all great :)
    Bonaparte

7. Apr 13, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It is only constant in regard to one of the original family of curves. A curve in the orthogonal family runs across these, so the set of intersections treats this as a parameter. Eliminating the constant, as HofI did, gets around this problem by extracting a general truth about the family as a whole.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted