Integration of functions in Fortran

In summary, the individual is seeking help with finding tutorials or guides for Fortran, specifically for integration of functions. They have searched online with little luck and their professor has recommended getting familiar with Fortran. They also mention a book and suggest looking at the Open Source Physics website or Numerical Recipes for resources.
MPKU
I've recently stated using Fortran (I downloaded 'Silverfrost') and am hitting a block. I've learned the basics, but I can't find any more tutorials.

My professor (who I plan on doing research for) suggests that I get familiar with Fortran, especially integration of functions. I do not have the strongest comp-sci background, so if anyone knows of any websites, tutorials, or any type of guide out there for Fortran, I would appreciate some help; or even personal advice!

Obviously, being on the internet I've searched for one, but I haven't came back with much luck.

Technology news on Phys.org
you might try looking at the Open Source Physics website www.compadre.org/osp where they use java to do comp simulations of physics. There are sample simulations that integrate the equations of motion for pendulums and springs... that can give you an idea on how its done.

Hi MPKU.
I got the same condition. I have been doing searching for fortran tutorials for weeks n now I am using this book, https://www.amazon.com/dp/0073191574/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

I think it's quite good for not so advanced comp-sci background like us, I am aerospace major btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you need to order the book, or did you download it online?

1. What is integration of functions in Fortran?

Integration of functions in Fortran is a mathematical process of finding the area under a curve, also known as the integral, of a given function. It is an important tool in scientific computing and is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How does Fortran handle integration of functions?

Fortran has built-in functions and subroutines for numerical integration, such as the SIMPSON and QUADPACK routines. These routines use various algorithms, such as Simpson's rule and Gauss-Kronrod rule, to approximate the integral of a function with high accuracy.

3. Can I integrate any type of function in Fortran?

Yes, Fortran can integrate a wide range of functions, including algebraic, trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic functions. However, certain functions may require special techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, to be integrated accurately.

4. How can I check the accuracy of my integration results in Fortran?

Fortran has built-in error control mechanisms in its numerical integration routines. These routines provide an estimate of the error in the computed integral, which can be used to assess the accuracy of the result. Additionally, you can also compare your results with known analytical solutions, if available, to verify the accuracy.

5. Are there any tips for improving the performance of integration in Fortran?

Yes, there are several tips that can help improve the performance of integration in Fortran. These include choosing the appropriate integration routine for your specific function, optimizing the code for efficient memory usage, and using parallel computing techniques if possible. It is also important to carefully select the integration limits and the number of integration points to balance accuracy and performance.