1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Integration of part of a circle

1. Aug 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Draw a circle centered on the origin with radius 2. Draw the vertical line x = 1. Find the area bounded on the left by x=1 and on the right by the circle.

2. Relevant equations
    Area of a circle: x[tex]^{2}[/tex] + y[tex]^{2}[/tex] = r[tex]^{2}[/tex]. In this race, r = 2

Polar coordinates:

x = p cos([tex]\theta[/tex])
    y = p sin([tex]\theta[/tex])

3. The attempt at a solution

At first I tried to solve this in rectangular coordinates, using the equation y = [tex]\sqrt{4 - x^{2}}[/tex] and integrating it from 1 to 2. However the antiderivative for that is messy as heck, and this is supposed to be a simple problem. I'm trying to do it in polar coords, but I'm at a loss as how to bound the integral in that case.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In the region of concern, r ranges from r = 1/cos(theta) = sec(theta) to r = 2. Theta ranges from theta = -arctan(sqrt(3)) to theta = +arctan(sqrt(3)), but you can let theta run from 0 to arctan(sqrt(3)) and double the value, using the symmetry of the circle.

The integral in rectangular coordinates isn't that bad if you know trig substitution.

4. Aug 7, 2010 #3
    I was hoping to avoid having to use arctan if at all possible...I'm having more luck with the small triangles method in polar coordinates.

You take a triangle with height along the x axis, "r". The angle from the x-axis is assumed to be very small, d[tex]\theta[/tex]. Because this is very small, the base of the triangle is approximated as the arc length, given in this case by r * d[tex]\theta[/tex]. The area of a triangle is 1/2 * base * height, or in this case 1/2*r[tex]^{2}[/tex]d[tex]\theta[/tex]. Integrating this from 0 to 2pi gives you your answer.

5. Aug 8, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Arctan doesn't enter into the picture at all. If you stay with rectangular coordinates, the substitution is sin(theta) = x/4
    You lost me here. How can the height be along the x axis? And what does this have to do with r?
    Why would you integrate from 0 to 2pi? In polar coordinates, the line x = 1 intersects the upper part of the circle at (2, pi/3).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook