1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of Rational Function - problem

1. Nov 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Here's the question: int(1/(x(x^2+3)*sqrt(1-x^2)))dx

2. Relevant equations

According to the textbook, the answer should be: (1/3)*ln((1-sqrt(1-x^2))/x)+(1/12)*ln((2+sqrt(1-x^2))/(x^2+3))+C

3. The attempt at a solution

1) let t = sqrt(1-x^2), so dt = (-x)/sqrt(1-x^2) dx
    2) substituted t and dt into the equation and got the following: -int(1/((1-t^2)(4-t^2)))dt
    3) expanded the denominator into (1+t)(1-t)(2+t)(2-t) and used partial fractions to find A,B,C and D in the numerator (respectively)

Using partial fractions, I got: A & B = 1/6, C & D = -1/12

4) From there, I integrated all four portions separately to yield:

5) Substituting t = sqrt(1-x^2) back into the equation and collecting like terms, I got:

6) Finally, multiplied everything inside both ln's and brought out the 2 in the first term (ln(x^2)) to get 1/3:
    My final answer: -(1/3)*ln(x)+(1/12)*ln(x^2+3)+c

Thank you for your help in advance!!!!!!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Your work shows me that you know what you're doing, but I believe you made an error in applying your substitution. You have t = sqrt(1 - x^2), from which we get t^2 = 1 - x^2, so x^2 = 1 - t^2, and finally x = sqrt(1 - t^2).

When I did the substitution, I got this:
    [tex]\frac{-dt}{\sqrt{1 - t^2} (4 - t^2) t}[/tex]

IOW, I didn't get a factor of (1 - t^2) as you did; I got a factor of sqrt(1 - t^2), and a factor of t. Those make for a different problem.
  4. Nov 26, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That is not, by the way, a rational function.
  5. Nov 26, 2008 #4
    Thanks for your help Mark44! I was on the right track but had a slight integration error that mixed up my +/- signs. Plus, I found out that the textbook answer was expressed with the absence of sqrt's in the denominator - conjugates!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?