1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of upper functions (from Apostol)

1. Aug 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (10.4 in Mathematical Analysis by Apostol)
    This exercise gives an example of an upper function f on the interval I = [0,1] such that -f (not a member of) U(I). Let {r1, r2, ...} denote the set of rational numbers in [0,1] and let I_n = [r_n - 4^-n, r_n + 4^-n] (intersect) I. Let f(x) = 1 if x (is a member of) I_n for some n, and let f(x) = 0 otherwise.

a. Let f_n(x) = 1 if x (is a member of) I_n, f_n(x) = 0 if x (is not a member of) I_n and let s_n = max(f_1,....,f_n). show that {s_n} is an increasing sequence of step functions which generates f. This shows that f (is a member of U(I).

b. Prove that Integral f <= 2/3

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't understand part b. Suppose that your set of rational numbers has r_1 = 0. Then I_1 = [0 - 1, 0 + 1] intersect [0,1] = [0,1]. Thus s_n = 1 over [0,1]. The step integral of s_n over [0,1] equals 1. As n->infinity, the integral remains 1. Thus Integral f = 1.

What am I missing here?

Travis
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think thats the reason for the 4 in 4^(-n) and starting the indexing with n=1. If n=1 then the interval is [r1-1/4,r1+1/4]. But this kind of stuff is just technical detail. You do get the actual picture, right?

4. Aug 9, 2007 #3
    Thanks a lot, Dick. I get it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?