Integration of vector valued functions

In summary: So you would have \sqrt{t^2 + t^4}= |t|\sqrt{1 + t^2}.In summary, the definite integral of |ti + t^2j| dt from 0 to 3 is equal to |t|\sqrt{1 + t^2} evaluated from 0 to 3, which is equal to 3\sqrt{10} - \sqrt{2}.
ahmetbaba

Homework Statement

Evaluate the definite integral.

[[ti + t^2j]] dt from 3 to 0. Sorry I don't know how to add the integration sign here. the parenthesis is referring to the magnitude of the vector.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue.

Physics news on Phys.org
ahmetbaba said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the definite integral.

[[ti + t^2j]] dt from 3 to 0. Sorry I don't know how to add the integration sign here. the parenthesis is referring to the magnitude of the vector.

Do you mean this:

[tex]\vec R(t) = ti + t^2j[/tex]

and you want to integrate

[tex]\int_3^0|\vec R(t)|\, dt\hbox{ ?}[/tex]

Click on the equations to see how to write them. If that is what your question is, what exactly are you stuck on?

[tex]
\int_3^0|\vec R(t)|\, dt\hbox{ ?}
[/tex] the integration is from zero to three. the other way around that I wrote it ( I have to get used to this stuff very soon)

I'm stuck on the second thing you wrote there, and I'm stuck on the whole thing. Our instructor didn't really explain this stuff a lot, and the textbook kind of assumes what we should be doing, so that's not much help also.

So, my main problem is, do we integrate first, or we set up the magnitude, find that and then integrate it. And any help with that would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
ahmetbaba said:
[tex]
\int_3^0|\vec R(t)|\, dt\hbox{ ?}
[/tex]

the integration is from zero to three. the other way around that I wrote it ( I have to get used to this stuff very soon)

I'm stuck on the second thing you wrote there, and I'm stuck on the whole thing. Our instructor didn't really explain this stuff a lot, and the textbook kind of assumes what we should be doing, so that's not much help also.

So, my main problem is, do we integrate first, or we set up the magnitude, find that and then integrate it. And any help with that would be much appreciated.

Do you know how to find the magnitude (length) of a vector? Just write down its length and integrate it.

would it be like this; It comes out of the integral like this

ti^2/2 + t^3/3 + C

and the length of this would be,

(.5^2 + .33^2)^.5 =.599 ?

That's not what I get. What did you get for the magnitude of the vector - |ti + t2j|? I think you skipped that part, and it looks like you just integrated t + t2, which is not a vector.

|ti + t^2| isn't this simply the sum of the square root of the coefficients squared. so it would be (2)^.5 = 1.41

ahmetbaba said:
|ti + t^2| isn't this simply the sum of the square root of the coefficients squared. so it would be (2)^.5 = 1.41
What do you mean by "it" here? Grammatically, it should refer to |ti+ t^2j| but I think you mean the integral. |ti+ t^2j| is equal to [tex]\sqrt{t^2+ t^4}= t\sqrt{1+ t^2}[/itex]. That should be easy to integrate. Also, you said in your first post that you were integrating "from 3 to 0". Since 3< 0 and your integrand is positive, the integral would be negative. Or are you really integrating from 0 to 3?

Finally, [itex]2^{.5}[/itex] is only approximately equal to 1.41. It would be better to leave it as [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]

ahmetbaba said:

The coefficients are the coefficients of i and j, not the coefficients of t and t^2. t and t^2 are the coefficients.

1. What is the definition of a vector valued function?

A vector valued function is a mathematical function that maps a set of input values to a corresponding set of output vectors. In other words, it is a function that takes in multiple inputs and produces a vector as its output.

2. How is the integration of vector valued functions different from the integration of regular functions?

The main difference is that for regular functions, the output is a scalar value, while for vector valued functions, the output is a vector. This means that the integration of vector valued functions involves finding the integral of each component of the vector separately.

3. What are the applications of integrating vector valued functions?

One common application is in physics, where vector valued functions can represent quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration. By integrating these functions, we can determine the total change in these quantities over a given interval of time.

4. How do we find the integral of a vector valued function?

The process is similar to finding the integral of a regular function, but instead of integrating a single function, we integrate each component of the vector separately. This can be done using standard integration techniques such as u-substitution or integration by parts.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions when integrating vector valued functions?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider, such as when the vector valued function is discontinuous or has discontinuous derivatives. In these cases, we may need to use specialized techniques such as line integrals or surface integrals to properly integrate the function.