Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration on chains in Spivak's calculus on manifolds

1. Aug 17, 2008 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would like to discuss this chapter with someone who has read the book.

From looking at other books, I realize that Spivak does things a little differently. He seems to be putting less structure on his chains (for instance, no mention of orientation, no 1-1 requirement and so on), and as a result, I find that things get a little weird.

For instance, the first thing I asked myself after reading the definition of the integral of a k-form over a k-chain is whether or not the result is independent of the chain. More precisely, if c and d are two k-chains with identical images, does

[tex]\int_c\omega=\int_d\omega[/tex]

as intuition demands??

I found a little guidance in answering this in the person of problem 4-25 (Independence of parametrization), but that's not entirely satisfying, because after all, coudn't it be that there is no 1-1 p such that c o p = d? If c and d are not injective for instance, the obvious p(t) := c^-1(d(t)) fails. And that det p'(x) >= 0 condition... what does it say about p? What characterize reparametrizations p with det p'(x) >= 0? (Does injectivity implies that the determinant does not chance sign? locally okay, but globally?!)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2008 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Isn't a chain a formal linear combination of parametrized regions? The parametrization on a region gives it an orientation.

If we set d = 2c, then wouldn't they have the same image and different integrals?

4. Aug 18, 2008 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oops, I wrote k-chain everywhere where I should have written k-cube.

His k-cube on A (subset of R^n) is a smooth map c:[0,1]^k-->A.

5. Aug 18, 2008 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it's easy enough to construct counterexamples in the same spirit. For example, c could be a curve tracing out a circle on the Euclidean plane, and d could be another curve that traces out the same circle twice.

(Of course, I doubt your intuition ever really demanded that these be the same....)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  6. Aug 18, 2008 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Mmmh, true.

And about problem 4-25? It reads,

"Let c be a k-cube and p:[0,1]^k-->[0,1]^k a bijection with det p'(x) >= 0 everywhere. If w is a k-form, then

[tex]\int_c\omega=\int_{c\circ p}\omega[/tex]"

The proof is direct... what I'm wondering is say I want to reparametrize c with a p as in the exercise. What does a p with det p'(x) >= 0 looks like? What does det p'(x) >= 0 says about p geometrically or otherwise?

7. Nov 23, 2009 #6
    Hello everybody!
    I am an exchange student in Canada and one of the course I choose is Calculus on Manifolds. This is a intersting as it is difficult but I deal with it! Anyway, I try to compute an aera over the chain but I can't find the right chain!

I have to compute the area on R2 of a square with a semi-circle on its top (I hope it is easy to understand). If you could give me any to start with or hint, I'd be glad because for now I don't even have an idea.

Hope to hear from you,
    Alex

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?