1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration/Solving A Constant To Divide An Area

1. May 23, 2010 #1
    With this particular problem you are given the functions y=x[tex]^{2}[/tex], y=4, and y=b.

The object is to solve for a value of b that will split the area between y=4 and y=x[tex]^{2}[/tex] in half.
    [PLAIN]http://www4c.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP263419aghg2f97i2944e0000580a2hgi735b957c?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=42&w=399&h=201 [Broken]

The approach I took was to include y=b in the integral, and then subtract the top half from the bottom half and equate that to zero.

[tex]\int_{-2}^{2} {(4-x^2-b)}\ = \int_{-2}^{2} {(b-x^2)}[/tex]

All I did then was solve the integrals, and isolate b to get an answer of 4. However the answer is 4^2/3. I'm also stuck on a similar problem where I need to solve for a constant where two functions have to enclose a specific area.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your integral for the top half is incorrect. Using the "vertical slices" method, the lower limit on [itex]y[/itex] is [itex]y=b[/itex] when [itex]-\sqrt{b}<x<\sqrt{b}[/itex], and [itex]y=x^2[/itex] when [itex]|x|\geq\sqrt{b}[/itex]. So, you might want to either use horizontal slices for the top half, or not bother computing that integral at all and instead compute the area between [itex]y=x^2[/itex] and [itex]y=4[/itex] and set that equal to twice your bottom half.

4. May 23, 2010 #3
    Horizontal slices sounds like a better idea. I did come up with the +-root b being the limits, but I decided to go with negative two and two instead...apparently that didn't work. I guess just integrating for one half only works out nicely. Then I can just go from zero to 4.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  5. May 23, 2010 #4
    Okay, so I did it with respect to Y instead:

[tex]
    \int_{0}^{b} {\sqrt{y}}\ = \int_{0}^{4} {\sqrt{y}}\ - \int_{0}^{b} {\sqrt{y}}
    [/tex]

then got here:

[tex]
    [\sqrt{b} - \sqrt{0}] = [\sqrt{4} - \sqrt{0}] - [\sqrt{b} - \sqrt{0}]
    [/tex]

then:
    [tex]
    2\sqrt{b}= \sqrt{4}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    2\sqrt{b}= 2
    [/tex]

[tex]
    b= 1
    [/tex]

Things aren't going very well.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  6. May 23, 2010 #5
    I found the desired area to be 8/3 (I just chopped it in half and did 0 to 2). Then integrated [tex]\frac{8}{3}=\int_{0}^{\sqrt b}
    b-x^2 dx[/tex]
    Solved for b...

7. May 23, 2010 #6
    You mean
    [tex]\int_{0}^{\sqrt b}
    { [b-x^2]} dx
    [/tex]

? I'll give it a try.

8. May 23, 2010 #7
    Yes, My tex skills are a little rusty. i edited it and fixed it..

9. May 23, 2010 #8
    Mine are horrible. I just figured it out within the last hour to ask this question. :p

Also, that doesn't work. The answer is supposed to be the cube root of 16...I am confused.

10. May 23, 2010 #9
    set it equal to 8/3! It works!

11. May 23, 2010 #10
    And the 8/3 is half the parabola from 0 to 2? Attempt # 4ish...

12. May 23, 2010 #11
    Well, here's what I did:

[tex]
    \frac{8}{3}=\int_{0}^{\sqrt b}
    b-x^2 dx
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \frac{8}{3}=[b-{\sqrt b}^2] - [b-{\sqrt 0}^2]
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \frac{8}{3}= b-b-b
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \frac{8}{3}= -b
    [/tex]

I'm really confused now.

13. May 23, 2010 #12
    [tex]

\frac{8}{3}=\int_{0}^{\sqrt b}
    b-x^2 dx

=bx-\frac{1}{3}x^3[/tex] from 0 to [tex]\sqrt b[/tex]

14. May 23, 2010 #13

Cyosis

Homework Helper

I suggest you review basic integration. You're just plugging the numbers into the integrand instead of integrating.

15. May 23, 2010 #14
    ...Fail. I've been doing that a lot recently. I don't know why.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook