Integration, U substitution help

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a u substitution in an integral. The participants discuss how to handle the substitution and find the derivative of u. They also discuss the use of du in the integral and the importance of including a +C when evaluating a definite integral. They also mention a caution about using a website to check work and clarify the use of limits of integration.
Dragonetti

Homework Statement

Hi I am having a few problems with the below u substitution can anyone help,
In particular what to do with the integral of the u substitution?

Homework Equations

[itex]\int[/itex]2x2 square root of 1-x3 dx, u = 1-x3

Any pointers would be appreciated
Thanks
D

Physics news on Phys.org
Once you have u just take the derivative of it and substitute it back in for dx. The u is right and I can see that it will work out just fine. Try reviewing an example from your notes or the textbook.

Can you show us the work you've done so far?
The next step is to find du/dx.
Create something in the integral which we can replace (...)dx and put in du.
Can you show what you get for du/dx?

Please read the section on https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Thanks for the help much appriciated,

I think I have worked it out, answer below;

-4/9(1-x3)3/2 du?

I have differentiated it and I get back to original answer.

Just one thing, if my original limits were 2,1 would my new limits be -7,0?

Thanks again
Dominic

You got it except you don't need the du at the end. And actually you need your +C as well. But I don't know what you mean with your question regarding limits.

Yes, that's right.
Check your answer here
A word of caution about that site- use it only to check your work, or help you through a particularly difficult integral. It's too easy to put it in there first & think one is learning.

When to drop the du?
When one actually does the integral operation. Both the integral sign & du disappear on the same step, when one does the integral itself, after the prep. work(substituting u, constant multipliers, etc.) but before evaluating a definite integral.

About +C, stengah is half right. Without limits of integration it needs a +C. Of course with limits of integration drop the +C.

When you do a definite integral with limits of integration, 2 & 1, the new limits of integration would be -7 & 0. The convention is to mention the bottom limit first, because if you see it graphically, the bottom number is on the left.

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve on a graph. It is the inverse of differentiation, which is finding the rate of change of a function.

2. What is the purpose of U substitution in integration?

U substitution is used to simplify integrals by replacing a complex expression with a single variable, commonly denoted as "u". This allows for easier integration using known techniques.

3. How do I know when to use U substitution?

U substitution is typically used when the integrand (the expression being integrated) contains a function within a function, such as sin(x^2) or e^(x^3). These types of expressions can be simplified using U substitution.

4. Can I use any variable for U substitution?

While "u" is the most commonly used variable for U substitution, you can use any letter or symbol as long as it does not conflict with any existing variables in the integral.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for using U substitution?

The most important rule for U substitution is to choose a substitution that will make the integral simpler. This is usually achieved by identifying a function within a function and replacing it with "u". It is also important to remember to substitute back in the original variable at the end of the integration process.