Integration using eulers formula and complex numbers

In summary, to integrate e^(-2x)(cos(3x)dx using Euler's formula e^(ix)= i(sinx)+cosx, we can use the identities cos(3x)= (e^(3ix)+e^(-3ix))/2 and sin(2x)= (e^(2x)-e^(-2x))/(2i) to simplify the integration and obtain the result of -e^(4x)dx+x
cragar
does anyone know how to integrate e^(-2x)(cos(3x)dx
using eulers formula e^(ix)= i(sinx)+cosx

Physics news on Phys.org
cragar said:
does anyone know how to integrate e^(-2x)(cos(3x)dx
using eulers formula e^(ix)= i(sinx)+cosx

Use eular's identity to express the above equation as an exponential function.

From [itex]e^{ix}= cos x+i sinx[/itex], changing x to -x and remembering that cosine is an "even" function and sine is an "odd" function, [itex]e^{-ix}= cos x- i sin s[/itex] so adding, [itex]e^{ix}+ e^{-ix}= 2 cos x[/itex] so [itex]cos x= (e^{ix}+ e^{-ix})/2[/itex].

[tex]cos(3x)= \frac{e^{3ix}+ e^{-3ix}}{2}[/tex]

[tex]e^{2x}cos(3x)= \frac{e^{(2+3i)x}+ e^{(2-3i)}}{2}[/tex]

ok i get it now thanks

k i think i get it now but how would we integrate e^(2x)*(sin(-2x))dx

[tex]e^{2x}sin(-2x)= -e^{2x}sin(2x)[tex]
[tex]sin(2x)= \frac{e^{2x}- e^{-2x}}{2i}[/tex]

1. What is the Euler's formula?

Euler's formula is a mathematical equation that relates complex numbers, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions. It is written as e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, and x is the angle in radians.

2. How is Euler's formula used in integration?

Euler's formula is used in integration to simplify complex trigonometric functions into exponential functions. This makes it easier to evaluate integrals involving trigonometric functions and also allows for the use of complex numbers in integration.

3. What is the significance of complex numbers in integration?

Complex numbers are significant in integration because they provide a more efficient and elegant way to represent and solve certain mathematical problems. In particular, the use of complex numbers in Euler's formula allows for the simplification of complex trigonometric functions, making integration more manageable.

4. Can Euler's formula be extended to higher powers?

Yes, Euler's formula can be extended to higher powers through the use of De Moivre's theorem. This theorem states that (cos(x) + isin(x))^n = cos(nx) + isin(nx), where n is a positive integer. This allows for the simplification of even more complex trigonometric functions in integration.

5. Are there any limitations to using Euler's formula in integration?

One limitation of using Euler's formula in integration is that it can only be applied to certain types of functions, specifically those that involve trigonometric functions. It may not be useful or applicable in other types of integrals. Additionally, the use of complex numbers may not always yield real-valued solutions, which may not be desirable in certain contexts.