Integration with square roots HELP

In summary, integrating a square root function involves using substitution and integration techniques, such as u-substitution or integration by parts. Trigonometric identities can also be used to simplify square roots when integrating. However, there is no general formula for integrating square roots and methods may vary depending on the function. When handling indefinite integrals, the constant of integration should be included. Common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to use absolute value and checking for algebraic errors.
Quarkn

Homework Statement

(8x+1)^0.5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using substitution but it clearly doesn't work because nothing in the brackets equals when derived.

Anyone help me with the beginning steps?

Physics news on Phys.org
Substitute u=8x+1. I don't understand what your problem with that would be.

Dick said:
Substitute u=8x+1. I don't understand what your problem with that would be.

Yes, you are correct. I guess i had some other weird method in my head :S Substitution works, sorry!

Thanks!

1. How do I integrate a square root function?

Integrating a square root function involves using the substitution method, where you substitute a variable for the expression inside the square root. You then use integration techniques, such as u-substitution or integration by parts, to solve the resulting integral.

2. Can I use trigonometric identities to integrate square roots?

Yes, trigonometric identities can be used to simplify square root functions and make them easier to integrate. Common identities used include the Pythagorean identity and the double angle formula.

3. Is there a general formula for integrating square roots?

No, there is no general formula for integrating square roots. Integration techniques and methods will vary depending on the specific function being integrated.

4. How do I handle indefinite integrals with square roots?

Indefinite integrals with square roots can be solved by using the substitution method and then evaluating the resulting integral. However, the answer will usually include the constant of integration, since indefinite integrals do not have a specific range of values.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when integrating square roots?

One common mistake when integrating square roots is forgetting to use the absolute value when taking the square root of a number. Additionally, it's important to carefully check for any algebraic mistakes, such as missing parentheses or incorrect substitution.