1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intensity of elliptically polarized light

1. Jul 13, 2012 #1

Wox

The time averaged norm of the Poynting vector of this electromagnetic field (elliptically polarized light):
    [tex]
    \begin{split}
    \bar{E}(t,\bar{x})=&(\bar{E}_{0x}+\bar{E}_{0y}e^{i \delta})e^{\bar{k}\cdot\bar{x}-\omega t}\\
    \bar{B}(t,\bar{x})=&\frac{1}{\omega}(\bar{k}\times\bar{E}(t,\bar{x}))
    \end{split}
    [/tex]
    with [itex]\bar{E}\perp\bar{B}\perp\bar{k}[/itex], becomes (as I calculated in SI-units [itex]J/(m^{2}s)[/itex])
    [tex]
    I(\bar{x})=\left<\left\|\bar{P}(t,\bar{x})\right\|\right>=\frac{c\epsilon_{0}}{2}(\bar{E}_{0x}^{2}+2\bar{E}_{0x}\cdot\bar{E}_{0y}\cos\delta+\bar{E}_{0y}^{2})
    [/tex]
    I have been trying to verify this, but I can't find a source that explicitly discusses this. For a linear polarized beam, [itex]\delta=0[/itex] so that [itex]I(\bar{x})=\frac{c\epsilon_{0}(\bar{E}_{0x}+\bar{E}_{0y})^{2}}{2}[/itex], which is correct. For general elliptical polarization I found this link which basically says that
    [tex]
    I(\bar{x})=E_{x}E_{x}^{\ast}+E_{y}E_{y}^{\ast}= \bar{E}_{0x}^{2}+\bar{E}_{0y}^{2}
    [/tex]
    which can't be right (as it doesn't work for linear polarized light). Does anyone know of a proper reference for this? Or even better, can someone verify my solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2012 #2

Wox

Ok, this is embarassing. I didn't see that [itex]\bar{E}_{0x}\cdot\bar{E}_{0y}=0[/itex] which fixes the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook