Interaction Energy how does it transform between inertial frames?

Energy is not an invariant quantity between different frames of reference. For example a particle having a kinetic energy in one frame has a zero kinetic energy in another frame. But what about interaction energy? If I know the interaction energy between 2 particles in one frame, how can I calculate that energy in another one?

Answers and Replies

Ich
Science Advisor
What is an interaction energy?

Abu Abdallah said:
Energy is not an invariant quantity between different frames of reference. For example a particle having a kinetic energy in one frame has a zero kinetic energy in another frame. But what about interaction energy? If I know the interaction energy between 2 particles in one frame, how can I calculate that energy in another one?
By using the stress-energy-momentum tensor. If we're speaking classically then one must not allow the particle to be a point particle since then you run into infinite energy.
Ich said:
What is an interaction energy?
The mutual potential energy between to objects is a good example.

Pete

interaction energy

Abu Abdallah said:
Probably the paper
T. Plakhotnik "Explicit derivation of the relativistic mass-energy relation for internal kinetic and potential energies of a composite system," Eur.J.Phys. 27, 1-5 2006
could be usefull.