1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interested in going into Electrical field (highschool student)

1. Dec 1, 2014 #1
    Going to Electrical field..(highschool student)
    I recently began applying to colleges. I am planning on attending a 2 year community college first, but the college only offers electrical engineering technology so I had a few questions.
    1. What is the difference between Electrical Engineering and Electrical Engineering Technology?
    2. If I enrolled in Electrical Engineering Technology 2 more years after community college and earned my Bachelors degree would I be considered an electrical engineer?
    3. Are the same jobs available to Electrical Engineering Technologists as Electrical Engineers?
    4. What is the pay difference?
    I just wanted to ask these futures as I wanted to make sure I was not getting into something I would not enjoy. I became interested in Engineering because I am very intrigued by the way things work and function. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2014 #2
    1. Electrical engineering focuses more on theory than electrical engineering technology. It is not possible to do a 2-year electrical engineering degree.
    2. Most likely not. Electrical engineering technologists are referred to as technologists or technicians.
    3. Both work in generally the same fields, though I'm not qualified to answer just how different their work is (and it probably depends on the industry).
    4. The average salary for electrical engineering technicians is about 60,000, while it's about 70,000 for an electrical engineer. This, of course, varies by location, years of experience, and field.

4. Dec 2, 2014 #3
    I read this as you being interested in actually stepping into an electric field.

5. Dec 2, 2014 #4
    As I understand it, electrical engineering technologist has a much more practical focus. You learn a lot less of the math and physics and theory behind what you're doing, and you just learn how to do it. An actual electrical engineering degree is much more intensive, and you'll learn a lot more math and theory. Which one you should go for depends who you are, but they're definitely not the same thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook