Interested in going into Electrical field (highschool student)

In summary, a high school student is considering attending a 2-year community college to study electrical engineering technology, but has some questions about the field. They want to know the difference between electrical engineering and electrical engineering technology, if they would be considered an electrical engineer with a bachelor's degree in technology, the job opportunities for technologists compared to engineers, and the pay difference between the two. They are interested in the field because they are curious about how things work. The summary suggests that electrical engineering focuses more on theory, while electrical engineering technology has a more practical approach. The average salary for technologists is lower than that of engineers.
ItsAdoS
Going to Electrical field..(high school student)
I recently began applying to colleges. I am planning on attending a 2 year community college first, but the college only offers electrical engineering technology so I had a few questions.
1. What is the difference between Electrical Engineering and Electrical Engineering Technology?
2. If I enrolled in Electrical Engineering Technology 2 more years after community college and earned my Bachelors degree would I be considered an electrical engineer?
3. Are the same jobs available to Electrical Engineering Technologists as Electrical Engineers?
4. What is the pay difference?
I just wanted to ask these futures as I wanted to make sure I was not getting into something I would not enjoy. I became interested in Engineering because I am very intrigued by the way things work and function. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Electrical engineering focuses more on theory than electrical engineering technology. It is not possible to do a 2-year electrical engineering degree.
2. Most likely not. Electrical engineering technologists are referred to as technologists or technicians.
3. Both work in generally the same fields, though I'm not qualified to answer just how different their work is (and it probably depends on the industry).
4. The average salary for electrical engineering technicians is about 60,000, while it's about 70,000 for an electrical engineer. This, of course, varies by location, years of experience, and field.

I read this as you being interested in actually stepping into an electric field.

As I understand it, electrical engineering technologist has a much more practical focus. You learn a lot less of the math and physics and theory behind what you're doing, and you just learn how to do it. An actual electrical engineering degree is much more intensive, and you'll learn a lot more math and theory. Which one you should go for depends who you are, but they're definitely not the same thing.

1. The main difference between Electrical Engineering and Electrical Engineering Technology is the focus of the curriculum. Electrical Engineering is a more theoretical and math-based program, focusing on the design and development of electrical systems and devices. Electrical Engineering Technology, on the other hand, is a more hands-on and practical program, focusing on the application and implementation of electrical systems and devices.
2. While a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering Technology may have similar coursework to a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, the titles and job responsibilities may differ. An electrical engineering technologist typically works under the supervision of an electrical engineer and may have a more hands-on role in implementing and maintaining electrical systems, while an electrical engineer may have more responsibility for the design and development of these systems.
3. While there may be some overlap in job opportunities for electrical engineering technologists and electrical engineers, there may also be specific roles that are only available to one or the other. It is important to research the specific job market and industry you are interested in to determine which degree may be more beneficial.
4. The pay difference between an electrical engineering technologist and an electrical engineer can vary depending on the industry, location, and job responsibilities. Generally, electrical engineers may have a higher starting salary, but with experience and specialization, both roles can have similar earning potential.

It is great that you are considering your interests and potential career paths before committing to a specific program. I would recommend researching the curriculum and job opportunities for both Electrical Engineering and Electrical Engineering Technology to determine which path aligns best with your interests and goals. Additionally, talking to current students or professionals in these fields can provide valuable insights and help you make an informed decision. Best of luck in your future studies!

1. What is the scope of the electrical field?

The electrical field is vast and covers a wide range of industries such as power generation, transportation, telecommunications, and consumer electronics. It is an essential component in almost all modern technology and continues to expand with advancements in renewable energy and smart technology.

2. What skills are required to pursue a career in the electrical field?

To be successful in the electrical field, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Good communication and teamwork abilities are also important for working in a collaborative environment.

3. What are the job opportunities for someone in the electrical field?

The job market for those in the electrical field is diverse and constantly growing. Some common career paths include electrical engineering, power systems engineering, electronics technician, and electrician. With the rise of renewable energy and smart technology, there is also a demand for professionals in these areas.

4. What education is required to enter the electrical field?

To enter the electrical field, a minimum of a high school diploma is typically required. However, a post-secondary education, such as a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or a trade school certification, can provide a more comprehensive understanding and open up more opportunities.

5. What are some challenges and benefits of working in the electrical field?

Working in the electrical field can be physically demanding and requires attention to detail and safety precautions. It also involves continuous learning and staying updated with advancements in technology. However, it offers job stability, competitive salaries, and the opportunity to be a part of innovative projects that shape the future.