1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interested in Nuclear Physics - How's my grad school list?

1. Dec 1, 2014 #1
    Hey guys, I've been asking around trying to see what schools on my list are 'reach', 'safety', or 'matches' for my profile. I was wondering if you guys could take a look and let me know if there's something that's too crazy or well within reach (or if I should just wait 'till next semester based on my PGRE haha). If you guys know any Nuclear schools that fit my profile, lemme know!

----------------

Undergrad Institution: Top 40 US World News (2014) - Big State School
    Major(s): Physics, Mathematics, French
    Minor(s): N/A
    GPA in Major: 3.3 Physics, 3.5 Math, 4.0 French
    Overall GPA: 3.6
    Length of Degree: 4 years
    Position in Class: Slightly above average
    Type of Student: Domestic white male

GRE Scores :
    Q: 164 (89%)
    V: 159 (81%)
    W: 4.5 (80%)
    P: 640 (38%)

Research Experience: Studied CLS limit setting for a semester, then moved on to FIR filtering programming for the current semester. No publications, but total research time is around a year.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Deans list in a few semesters.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Software Engineering Intern for a summer learning Javascript, Node.js, and general large networking problems. Not super relevant to physics, but it adds credibility to my programming skills.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: N/A

Special Bonus Points: 3 majors in 4 years.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I've working fluency in french. Of my three letters, one comes from my experimental methods professor, whom I worked a lot with on an independent research topic, will be doing research with him the next semester. The other is from my Nuclear/Particle Physics course and the ~semester research, got along well with him. The last one comes from a french professor whom I've had for 3 courses, we get along very well. At least 2 of them will be very strong.

Also I have 2 anomalous C's, one in Proof Writing, and the other in Electromagnetism 2, the only sub-B grades I've gotten. I also have a W in independent research for this semester due to time constraints.

Applying to Where:
    Will be considering PHD -> Nuclear Theory/Experiment in all areas

United States:

Michigan State
    U Massachusetts Amherst
    Notre Dame
    Northeastern
    U Connecticut
    U Delaware
    U William and Mary
    Virginia Tech
    George Washington U
    Temple U
    SUNY Buffalo
    UC Riverside

Canada:
    McGill
    U British Columbia

France:
    U Pierre-Marie Curie
    U Joseph Fourier
    École Polytechnique/ETH Zurich (Joint Masters)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A few things to consider:
    • 3.3 is not a high GPA
    • 38% is not a high PGRE
    • "Best student this year" is an average letter of recommendation, not a strong one. (Except perhaps at MIT or other giant schools)
    • Michigan State is the best school for nuclear physics in the country.

4. Dec 2, 2014 #3
    • I know that for sure
    • That's the reason I'm asking around, because I really messed that one up
    • Luckily I have the research side to help my letter on that one
    • I'm aware of that, do you think it's too reach? Or is it worth a shot?
    Basically I'm stuck at whether I should just take a year off to fix up my PGRE and maybe take some grad classes to up my GPA. I'd like to apply this semester, but it's not looking super good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook