Interested in symmetry groups in physics

• Thread starter robwilson
  • Start date
In summary, symmetry groups in physics refer to the mathematical structures that describe the symmetries of physical systems. These groups play a crucial role in understanding the fundamental laws of nature and predicting the behavior of particles and fields. Symmetry groups are used in various branches of physics, including quantum mechanics, relativity, and particle physics, to classify and analyze symmetries that exist in the physical world. They have also been instrumental in developing new theories and models, such as the Standard Model of particle physics. Overall, symmetry groups are a powerful tool for understanding the fundamental principles of the universe and have significant applications in various fields of physics.
robwilson
How did you find PF?
PF was listed as a referrer to my blog, so I came along to find out what you were looking at and why
I have spent ten years studying symmetry groups in fundamental physics, trying to make sense of it all. It has taken a long time to get to the point where I can post articles to the arxiv discussing these issues, but PF picked up on the first one of these arxiv:2009.14613 a month ago. The perspective of a professional group theorist is often lacking in these discussions, and I felt I could help by surveying the entire field of plausible ways that group theory could go beyond the standard model. Once I'd done that, there was one particular group and one particular algebra that stood out as far and away the best prospect for unification. So this is the message I am trying to convey: if you're serious about unification and quantum gravity, then this is the algebra you need, because nothing else is going to work. I don't know if this one works, but it looks promising to me.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums, Rob. :smile:

Likes PhDeezNutz
Hello Rob, I am a graduate student in physics which means I know next to nothing about group algebra although it has always intrigued me. Especially when it comes to adding quantum mechanical angular momentum states amongst multiple particles and multiple types of angular momentum (spin and orbital). I always felt that in graduate physics we were not adequately mathematically trained so we’re not playing with a full deck. I look forward to your posts and insights although much of it will go over my head. Happy to have you here!