Interesting ideas for mathematics presentation

In summary, the speaker will be doing a 12-15 minute presentation on the great theorems of mathematics inspired by William Dunham's book "Journey through the genius". Other potential topics mentioned were Quipu, number theory, and the golden ratio, but the speaker will be sticking to their original plan of theorems. The golden ratio was deemed as often being misused and straying into pseudoscience. The speaker eventually decided on doing a presentation on Euler's identity, which will cover its historical, mathematical, and scientific significance. The presentation will be held in late April.
sunny79
I will be doing a presentation in the science symposium at my community college. The common theme is always topics from biology or chemistry but never from physics or mathematics.. I am a Math major and love pure mathematics, I am interested in presenting the great theorems of mathematics inspired by William Dunham's book called " Journey through the genius". The presentation will be around 12-15 minutes where I will try to present some of these theorems in the most interesting way. Other topics I had in my mind were Quipu : The mathematics of the Incas. Number theory and Golden ratio. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
sunny79 said:
Other topics I had in my mind were Quipu : The mathematics of the Incas. Number theory and Golden ratio
I would stay away from this as it's nothing but hand waving.

Evo said:
I would stay away from this as it's nothing but hand waving.

These? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quipu

I think they'd make for a pretty interesting presentation.

jack476 said:
These? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quipu

I think they'd make for a pretty interesting presentation.
He was talking about golden ratio. If he wants to do a historical report just about how the Inca counted, no problem, if that's allowed.

Why is the golden ratio nothing but hand waving?

ulianjay said:
It is often misused, you'll see it used with numerology and pseudoscience and outright woowoo.

ulianjay said:

It's really more of an observation than a rigorously derived result. And Evo is right that it can stray dangerously close to math woo.

Evo said:
It is often misused, you'll see it used with numerology and pseudoscience and outright woowoo.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be sticking to my original plan of theorems.

Anyway, looking back, I don't think the OP meant to combine the Inca and the golden ratio, I believe he meant them as separate topics..

Last edited:
I really appreciate your input guys. I shall be doing a presentation about the Pythagoras theorem. Three theorems will be covered. 1) Algebraic 2) Geometric 3) Trigonometric with historical background, significance and a proof accompanied with each one.

Ah well! Today was the final day of the topic submission. I ended up choosing to do a presentation on Euler's identity, An in-depth analysis from a historical, mathematical and scientific perspective. The presentation will be held in late April.

sunny79 said:
Ah well! Today was the final day of the topic submission. I ended up choosing to do a presentation on Euler's identity, An in-depth analysis from a historical, mathematical and scientific perspective. The presentation will be held in late April.
Sounds interesting, good luck with it!

Thanks a lot.

What are some interesting ideas for a mathematics presentation?

Some potential ideas for a mathematics presentation could include exploring the mathematics behind a famous piece of art or architecture, discussing the applications of mathematics in everyday life, or examining the history and development of a specific mathematical concept or theory.

How can I make my mathematics presentation engaging and interactive?

One way to make a mathematics presentation more engaging is to incorporate hands-on activities or demonstrations that allow the audience to participate and see the concepts in action. Additionally, using visual aids such as graphs, diagrams, or videos can help make the presentation more interactive and easier to understand.

What are some tips for effectively explaining complex mathematical concepts?

When explaining complex mathematical concepts, it's important to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts and use real-world examples to illustrate their applications. It can also be helpful to use analogies or visual aids to make the concept more relatable and easier to grasp.

How can I keep my audience interested in a mathematics presentation?

One way to keep your audience interested in a mathematics presentation is to vary your presentation style and incorporate different types of media, such as videos, images, and interactive elements. It's also important to engage with your audience and encourage them to ask questions or participate in activities throughout the presentation.

What are some common misconceptions about mathematics that can be addressed in a presentation?

Some common misconceptions about mathematics include the idea that it is only used for solving equations or that it is a subject that is only suited for certain types of people. These misconceptions can be addressed in a presentation by showcasing the diverse applications and real-world relevance of mathematics, and highlighting the fact that anyone can develop an understanding and appreciation for the subject with the right approach.