1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting Integral

1. Apr 7, 2004 #1
    Here's a pretty difficult integral that our prof threw at us a couple days ago... left the whole class a little dumbfounded. I wish I had symbols to use (such as the ones that a lot of the pros on this site use)... but I'm sure you'll be able to understand.

Integrate (from a to b) the following (1-x^2)(f ''(x)) dx

He went on to say that if we couldnt get that, perhaps we should look at this one:

Integrate (from -a to a) the following (a^2-x^2)(f ''(x))
    (he suggested IBP)

I think what threw most people off was how he knew what f''(x) was without identifying it directly.

Thanks for everyones help in advance!!

-Chris

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2004 #2

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can't say I have ever done anything like that. However would it not be fairly easy to say:

[tex]\int_b^a (1-x^2)f''(x) dx = \int_b^a f''(x) dx - \int_b^a (x^2)f''(x)dx[/tex]

[tex]\left[ f'(x) \right]_b^a - \int_b^a (x^2)f''(x)dx [/tex]

And apply by parts on the remaining integral. That's just a guess :confused:

4. Apr 8, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There's no reason to separate the (1- x2).

Let u= 1-x2 and dv= f"(x)dx
    Then du= -2xdx and v= f '(x)

so the integral becomes [itex](1-x^2)f'(x)\|_a^b+ 2\int_a^bxf'(x)dx[/itex]

To do that second integral let u= x, dv= f'(x)dx so
    du= dx and v= f(x). The second integral becomes [itex]xf(x)\|_a^b- 2\int_a^bf(x)dx[/itex].

The entire integral is [itex](1-b^2)f'(b)-(1-a^2)f'(a)+ 2bf(b)-2af(a)- 2\int_a^bf(x)dx[/itex]

The "advantage" of using a2-x2 instead of 1- x2 is that the "(1-a2) term is 0 and we have only [itex](a^2-b^2)f'(b)+ 2bf(b)-2af(a)- 2\int_a^bf(x)dx[/itex].

Of course, we can't evaluate that last integral precisely because we don't know f itself.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2004
  5. Apr 8, 2004 #4
    ahhh.. thank you both very much for your help!!

[bows to HallsofIvy]

very much appreciated :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?