What caused the series of explosions during a power failure?

In summary, the speaker experienced flashing lights and loud bangs outside their home. Upon investigation, they discovered that a tree branch had severed an overhead power cable, causing multiple explosions and debris along the line. The speaker's neighbor compared it to a firework display and speculated that the circuit may not have shorted out enough to trip the supply. The speaker wonders if Ohm's Law can explain the situation.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
My lights stated to flash on and off at the same time i noted a series of bangs coming from outside, as i looked through the window i saw small explosions with puffs of smoke and debris traveling along the overhead power cable, it seems a tree branch had severed the cable, but why so many explosions along the line, there must have been 20 or so, before
the fuse went, my neighbour said it looked like a firework display from his house.

Physics news on Phys.org
Squirrels exploding along the lines.

Those lines are intended to carry a high currents at [probably] 12,500 volts or so. It may be that the circuit hadn't shorted out hard enough to trip the supply.

Evo said:
Squirrels exploding along the lines.

You can have my award, that actually made me laugh.

Ivan Seeking said:
Those lines are intended to carry a high currents at [probably] 12,500 volts or so. It may be that the circuit hadn't shorted out hard enough to trip the supply.

I guessed it was some thing like that, the interesting part was watching the explosions run along the line getting ever closer to to the break, may be ohms law will explain it, but i can not think how yet.

1. What causes power failures?

Power failures can be caused by a variety of factors, such as severe weather conditions, equipment failure, human error, or accidents. In some cases, power outages may also be intentionally caused by power companies to prevent damage to the electrical grid.

2. How long do power failures usually last?

The duration of a power failure can vary greatly depending on the cause and severity of the outage. Some may only last a few seconds or minutes, while others can last for hours or even days. It is important to have emergency plans in place for longer power outages.

3. Can power failures be prevented?

While some power failures are inevitable, there are measures that can be taken to prevent or minimize their impact. Regular maintenance and upgrades to the electrical grid can help prevent equipment failure, and having backup generators can provide temporary power during outages.

4. Are power failures dangerous?

In most cases, power failures are not dangerous and are simply an inconvenience. However, if they occur during extreme weather conditions, they can pose a risk to those who rely on electricity for medical equipment or other essential needs. It is important to have a plan in place for these situations.

5. How do power failures affect society?

Power failures can have a significant impact on society, especially in areas where electricity is essential for daily life. They can disrupt transportation systems, communication networks, and essential services such as hospitals and emergency services. They can also result in economic losses for businesses and individuals.