Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting power failure

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

My lights stated to flash on and off at the same time i noted a series of bangs coming from outside, as i looked through the window i saw small explosions with puffs of smoke and debris traveling along the overhead power cable, it seems a tree branch had severed the cable, but why so many explosions along the line, there must have been 20 or so, before
    the fuse went, my neighbour said it looked like a firework display from his house.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Squirrels exploding along the lines.

4. Mar 5, 2008 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Those lines are intended to carry a high currents at [probably] 12,500 volts or so. It may be that the circuit hadn't shorted out hard enough to trip the supply.

5. Mar 5, 2008 #4

wolram

Gold Member

You can have my award, that actually made me laugh.

6. Mar 5, 2008 #5

wolram

Gold Member

I guessed it was some thing like that, the interesting part was watching the explosions run along the line getting ever closer to to the break, may be ohms law will explain it, but i can not think how yet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?