Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intermolecular forces and boiling point

1. Jan 19, 2016 #1
    I've come to understand that intermolecular forces cause the boiling point of hydrochloric acid solutions below 20% to be higher than the boiling point of water. I also understand that dissolving hcl in water is an exothermic reaction. But, what about those intermolecular forces. I assume they are dipole interactions.

My question: If ions in an electrolyte like hydrochloric acid are made to collect on a charged surface, will they absorb heat when the charged surface is grounded? I think they will because, as they spread out and homogenize, they will reform the interactions that require heat to break. Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Come again? "Absorb heat when the charged surface is grounded?"

4. Jan 19, 2016 #3
    When a conductor is charged in an electrolyte; ions move towards the conductor. When the conductor is grounded, the ions disperse in the electrolyte. Im asking if thermal energy is needed for the ions to disperse and establish intermolecular forces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook