Sid's Journey to IPSP at University of Leipzig

• Schools
  • Thread starter sid0123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, Sid is applying to the International Physics Study Program at the University of Leipzig and is concerned about the quality of the program and the university's rankings. He has spoken to a few people who have attended the program and found it to be difficult. He also read that there is a lot of maths in the first two years and that the responsibility for one's studies is entirely up to the student.
By the way, how are you able to read the almaweb website? Isn't it written in German?

Physics news on Phys.org
Doyeon Jin said:
By the way, how are you able to read the almaweb website? Isn't it written in German?
At the top right you will find the language for english

Did any of you heard from the university yet? The one's who still haven't got their acceptance latter.

Ahmed el tantawi said:
Did any of you heard from the university yet? The one's who still haven't got their acceptance latter.
Have you messaged them to know what's going on?

PiaM said:
Have you messaged them to know what's going on?
Yes i had. Earlier this month and they replied that it's still being processed so i have to wait still for a while.

Hello everyone,

I have received an offer to study Bachelor in IPSP on 25th July 2018. I am yet to apply for a National Student visa and also yet to apply for accommodation at Student Residences Leipzig University.

I am presently 30 years old. Well, what I wanted to study is pure Mathematics in a rigorous manner because that comes in handy during research programmes in most quantitative disciplines.
Now, I couldn't find a Public German University offering Bachelor in Mathematics programme entirely in English. There was one private University (Jacobs University in Bremen) which charges hefty tuition fees per year. So, the closest degree programme that I know is this IPSP Programme. Although it is based on Physics, what I have come to know is that in its first year/second year, the focus is mostly on Mathematics or in Mathematical Physics. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

So, now what I would like to know, have there been students in previous batches who enrolled in the IPSP Programme at Leipzig University in their late 20s or in early 30s?
I had studied Engineering Physics back in my engineering days but it has been a few years back and I am not even in touch with those course contents. So, how difficult is the IPSP Programme in the first couple of years of study? Are there any lecture videos of the Physics course in Youtube or any such study materials publicly available?
Typically, what is the class strength of the first year of the IPSP Programme?

Now, is the three year Bachelor Degree Programme at a German University recognized by US Universities for its Ph.D. programme in allied disciplines? Or, do I need to separately pursue Masters degree first?
Alternatively, regarding employment, can Non-EU candidates seek employment based on a Bachelor degree in any parts of Germany or will my age be an issue?

Regarding the Visa Application Process, while trying to book an appointment via VFS, if I choose Category as National Visa and Sub-category as Study, then it shows appointment in Late August'18. But if I choose the sub-category as "Bachelor Studies with Unconditional Offers" it shows no appointment dates. So, then should I go with "Study option" for the Sub-category?

Is Accommodation still available in Student Residences at Leipzig University? Do I need to show accommodation proof during Visa application?
Is Apostille required for documents during Visa application or notarized photocopies will be sufficient for submission?
Do I need to open a Blocked A/c before Visa application or will it be sufficient to show bank statements and open Blocked A/c while in Germany?
Is it mandatory to buy travel health insurance or can I do that also in Germany?

Since I will be going for studying a second Bachelor programme, is there any possibility of my Visa being rejected?

Last edited:
Ahmed el tantawi said:
Nothing yet here either Ahmed. Let's hope that they will get back to us before the 25th of this month. Really tempted to book the flights right now but since the admission is not secured, I don't think it's a smart move. But goddamn, it's been almost two months now since I started this process and it's already the end of August! They better hurry up or we won't be able to find good flights and apartments!

Hey guys, I was admitted about two hours ago. I'll apply for the apartments tomorrow.

Likes Hector
Manik Dawar said:
Hello Gargi. It seems that we are from the same country. A problem that we all face here is with the visa application process. The problem is with the availability of appointment slots for visa interviews. I applied for this program quite early, and received my letter of admission on the 22nd of May. Despite of that, on the first of June, when I tried to book a visa appointment, I found out that the earliest available slot was on September 13! It seems that a large portion of applicants book appointments without receiving their admission letters, and most of them never cancel even if their plans change! I was really not expecting that. Immediately, I emailed the university, requesting them to allow me to enrol at a later date in case my visa does not arrive on time. They responded, saying that I cannot enrol after October 12. After that, I spent days, trying to reschedule my appointment, but it seems that very few people cancel their slots, so that I could reschedule to one of those slots. After refreshing hundreds of times over a few weeks, I finally found an empty slot on June 25. On July 20, I got my visa. I believe that I got lucky, in that I happened to check for slots at just the right moment. I have come across people who have had to stay back because of this. Be careful with the visa application process. Book a slot asap, if you haven't already. Good luck. I hope to see you in Leipzig.
Hello everyone,

I am from India and have received an offer to study Bachelor in IPSP on 25th July 2018. I am yet to apply for a National Student visa and also yet to apply for accommodation at Student Residences Leipzig University.

So, now what I would like to know, have there been students in previous batches who enrolled in the IPSP Programme at Leipzig University in their late 20s or in early 30s?
I had studied Engineering Physics back in my engineering days but it has been a few years back and I am not even in touch with those course contents. So, how difficult is the IPSP Programme in the first couple of years of study? Are there any lecture videos of the Physics course in Youtube or any such study materials publicly available?

Now, is the three year Bachelor Degree Programme at a German University recognized by US Universities for its Ph.D. programme in allied disciplines? Or, do I need to separately pursue Masters degree first?
Alternatively, regarding employment, can Non-EU candidates seek employment based on a Bachelor degree in any parts of Germany or will my age be an issue?

Regarding the Visa Application Process, while trying to book an appointment via VFS, if I choose Category as National Visa and Sub-category as Study, then it shows appointment in Late August'18. But if I choose the sub-category as "Bachelor Studies with Unconditional Offers" it shows no appointment dates. So, then should I go with "Study option" for the Sub-category?

Is Accommodation still available in Student Residences at Leipzig University? Do I need to show accommodation proof during Visa application?
Is Apostille required for documents during Visa application or notarized photocopies will be sufficient for submission?
Do I need to open a Blocked A/c before Visa application or will it be sufficient to show bank statements and open Blocked A/c while in Germany?
Is it mandatory to buy travel health insurance or can I do that also in Germany?

Since I will be going for studying a second Bachelor programme, is there any possibility of my Visa being rejected?

Please reply back soon.

Hey people, I got into this program, and I know this isn't physics related, but one of the things that has been stressing me out was that I've been wondering what the attitude towards LGBTQ+ people is in Leipzig... its one of the things that I've been most hesitant about. I'm from a very liberal part of Canada and I'm just kind of concerned about the change of environment. If anyone knows anything about this or has any additional information I'd really appreciate it. Hope to see you all in October!

TaylorBrookes said:
Hey people, I got into this program, and I know this isn't physics related, but one of the things that has been stressing me out was that I've been wondering what the attitude towards LGBTQ+ people is in Leipzig... its one of the things that I've been most hesitant about. I'm from a very liberal part of Canada and I'm just kind of concerned about the change of environment. If anyone knows anything about this or has any additional information I'd really appreciate it. Hope to see you all in October!
Hi Taylor! I don't think you have anything to worry about, in general Northern Germany is more accepting than Southern Germany when it comes to LGBTQ+ people. My friend is a transguy and lives in Hamburg, and he says that everyone's really accepting and getting therapy is easy and effortless, and the medical staff is really empathetic. So I'd say that people are quite accepting! Of course there are always people who are conservative and don't understand different sexualities/gender identities, but those people are not worth dealing with (they are ignorant and mostly old cranky people). Leipzig is a big city with a growing diversity of people. :) We'll all be fine. When it comes to uni, I believe that everyone's accepting since we are all young enthusiastic and so diverse there from different countries and backgrounds. Even if you look queer, people won't probably treat you any different! If you want to talk more about this and need support, DM me!

Likes TaylorBrookes, Manik Dawar and PiaM
Sam30 said:
Hello everyone,

I am from India and have received an offer to study Bachelor in IPSP on 25th July 2018. I am yet to apply for a National Student visa and also yet to apply for accommodation at Student Residences Leipzig University.

Please reply back soon.

Hi, you should ask the German embassy directly, most of those answers can change from country to country, so it won't really help you much if I tell you how it was for me, since the requirements for a visa application vary a lot.
Besides, the answer to your questions should be in the embassy website or you could just call them and ask

Hi. I do not have the answer for all your questions, but for someof them, I do. Here they are:

For the visa subcategory, choose the one with the unconditional offer if they have not mentioned anything (any grade or certification) in your admission letter, that you should have secured by the time you arrive at the university. I got an unconditional letter, and so have all people I know who got their admission letters.

You do not need to show proof of accommodation in the visa process.
Spaces might not be available at studentenwerk, but you can still try applying there. From what I have heard, wg-gesucht.de is another good option.

Just carry your photocopies of your original documents, along with your original documents, for the visa interview. You do not need to get the photocopies attested.

You have to demonstrate to the visa officer that you have the financial situation to have yourself supported for your education in Germany. For that, your bank statements can also work. Mostly, however, people choose to have blocked accounts because there is less scope for ambiguity there. The best you can do is show a blocked amount plus your bank statements if they are good. If you choose to open a blocked account, then you would have to do that before the visa interview. For that, I would recommend Fintiba, because it is quick and easy.

They don't ask for travel insurance at the time of interview. They ask for it only at the time of visa stamping. After your interview, you get your passport back, and in a few weeks they send you an email, informing you whether or not your visa was accepted. If it gets accepted, you need to take your passport along with a travel insurance to the embassy/consulate or vfs centre for stamping.

I hope this helps. Good luck man! I admire what you seem to be trying to do here, by applying for a bachelors all over again; in physics!

Sam30 said:
Hello everyone,

Please reply back soon.

Hello , I am from India . I have applied for BSC ipsp advanced semester (3rd) . I didn't get acceptance letter till now . It was started on 18th of June . I haven't applied for my visa . When will I probably get an acceptance letter ? What should I do now ?? Am worried like anything .

Hey friends, yesterday I got a two-person dorm offer from Leipzig and accepted it today. I'm living in the Marienbrunn-Stadtteil, which is south. The apartment building is Johannes-R.-Becher-Straße 3-11.
Have any of you gotten an offer yet? It would be nice to know if any of you will be living in the same apartment building/area! Hopefully they put all the STEM students in the same part of the town, we'd be having weekly science conventions in a park haha.

Likes Manik Dawar
Hello Sirius, I got a two person dorm there too, Johannes R Becher Straße 7. I think it's a street with buildings 3 to 11 reserved for student dorms. What building did you get and when are you coming to Leipzig?

HasanTanveer said:
Hello Sirius, I got a two person dorm there too, Johannes R Becher Straße 7. I think it's a street with buildings 3 to 11 reserved for student dorms. What building did you get and when are you coming to Leipzig?
Hey Hasan, I got a dorm room in the same building as you did! It would be so cool if we lived in the same apartment. I can DM you when I know the exact dorm number. Perhaps we'll be housemates! I'll arrive to Leipzig on the 27th of Sep and will be staying in a hotel with a friend. When are you arriving to Leipzig? If you still need accommodation for the first couple of days, I can recommend you a cheap hotel I booked.

That would be pretty cool. I'm arriving on 19th September. Are you on the Facebook group? IPSP 2018/2019?

HasanTanveer said:
That would be pretty cool. I'm arriving on 19th September. Are you on the Facebook group? IPSP 2018/2019?
Wow, so soon! Guess I'm coming to Leipzig pretty late compared to the others. Unfortunately I don't have Facebook, though I'm aware of that group existing!

Hey guys . I got one at Phil Rosenthal Straße. That shouldn't be too far from where you guys are. About 4 km

Likes Sirius Mukari
Manik Dawar said:
Hey guys . I got one at Phil Rosenthal Straße. That shouldn't be too far from where you guys are. About 4 km
That's great. Hindi bol lete ho tum?

Likes Manik Dawar
Hi guys.I got a room at tarostrabe. It's closer to Phil Rosenthal strabe like 200m and about 3 to 4 km from johannes strabe.
Will be coming to Leipzig on 2 nd of October. so see you all soon.

Likes Sirius Mukari and Manik Dawar
Hey all, I got a room at Strasse Des 18. Oktober 23-33. Anyone else in that dorm complex? I get to Leipzig the 30th of September.

Likes Sirius Mukari
Hey guys! Good to see you. As I am very worried about my future I really wanted to ask you guys that is it worth studying physics ipsc in Leipzig? A reply will do me wonders as I'll apply next year! :) thank you

Likes Sirius Mukari
Hey guys! Another very important question. Anyone here applied with A levels here? I need a little bit of help. Thank you :)

Sibasish said:
Hey guys! Another very important question. Anyone here applied with A levels here? I need a little bit of help. Thank you :)
Sorry for the late reply. First, don't worry about your future. As cliche as it sounds, work hard. If you are not sure that IPSP is the right fit for you, then look into other universities as well. I don't know about applying with A-levels. But I do know that the International office is generous about admission in the program. Is it worth it? For the cost, yes. Best of luck! Let me know if you have other questions.

Hello to all:peacesign:! I recently found this program and I am really excited about it now! I still have quite a lot of time before I will apply to Bachelors.
I have some questions though:

1)How hard is it to get in? I didn't find any acceptance rate statistics. I mean, should there be any academic achievements like olympiads/projects, if yes what level (regional, national, international)? What about school grades?

2)I know that it is cheap to live in Leipzig, but still how much exactly does it cost? Have any of you received some kind of financial aid? I heard about deutschlandstipendium, but it only gives 300 euros per month.

3)About work: how much money per month is it possible to make just to cover expenses without harming the study process?

4)I think I misunderstood something, but it says on the official website that winter semester is from October 1 to March 31, and summer semester from April 1 to September 30. Does it mean the study year is the whole year:wideeyed:? How many months are you in Leipzig for study?

Hello.

1) Let me address that, university in Germany is not as stringent as the ones you are thinking of elsewhere in the world. They generally only look at your high school grades. If you have good grades, you should get in. I couldn't find the statistics either.

2) Deutschlandstipendium is mainly for students who have already studied in the university. If you manage things carefully, it shouldn't cost more than 600 euros a month. And I'd say 300 is a lot for thousands of students.

3) You can work up to 10 hrs during the school year and 19 hrs during the vacation period.

4) There are vacations in between, and you don't have to go to the lectures. It's just the time period that you have to do the work at home or take exams, I guess. There should be plenty of vacation.

Best of luck! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Likes Ryen
Doyeon Jin said:
Hello.

1) Let me address that, university in Germany is not as stringent as the ones you are thinking of elsewhere in the world. They generally only look at your high school grades. If you have good grades, you should get in. I couldn't find the statistics either.

2) Deutschlandstipendium is mainly for students who have already studied in the university. If you manage things carefully, it shouldn't cost more than 600 euros a month. And I'd say 300 is a lot for thousands of students.

3) You can work up to 10 hrs during the school year and 19 hrs during the vacation period.

4) There are vacations in between, and you don't have to go to the lectures. It's just the time period that you have to do the work at home or take exams, I guess. There should be plenty of vacation.

Best of luck! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks so much! I didn't expect such a quick response^○^
Another question: Are student apartments near the campus? I mean, do you need to use some kind of transport to get there? Thanks in advance))0)

Ryen said:
Thanks so much! I didn't expect such a quick response^○^
Another question: Are student apartments near the campus? I mean, do you need to use some kind of transport to get there? Thanks in advance))0)
It depends on which student dorm building you get. There are quite a few student dorms situated apart from each other. There are two or three student dorm buildings that are close to the physics faculty. As for the transportation, it's included in the semester fee you pay to the university, which is nice.

Best wishes!

Doyeon Jin said:
It depends on which student dorm building you get. There are quite a few student dorms situated apart from each other. There are two or three student dorm buildings that are close to the physics faculty. As for the transportation, it's included in the semester fee you pay to the university, which is nice.

Best wishes!
Thanks, you helped me a lot:)

Doyeon Jin said:
Sorry for the late reply. First, don't worry about your future. As cliche as it sounds, work hard. If you are not sure that IPSP is the right fit for you, then look into other universities as well. I don't know about applying with A-levels. But I do know that the International office is generous about admission in the program. Is it worth it? For the cost, yes. Best of luck! Let me know if you have other questions.

Hello! Thank you for helping me! Can u send me the link or email ID of the international office so I can contact them? thank you so much again

Hello
I have some queries about IPSP.
Can you help me?

Is there anyone applying in 2019 winter semester? I'm going to apply for IPSP bachelor this semester and I'm looking for a fellow applicant. I've already uploaded all the required documents in uni-assist. The application phase hasn't started yet. I'm not sure what to do after submitting the online application. How should I send the printed document to the university admission office? by airmail like DHL or just scanned copy to the mail address of course buddy?