Internet Explorer address bar auto suggestions

In summary, the conversation is about the autocomplete and suggestion features on Internet Explorer 6. The speaker mentions that when typing in URLs, suggestions for previously visited sites appear, even if they haven't been visited in years. They speculate that this information may be saved on Microsoft servers and suggest switching to a different browser. The conversation took place in 2006, before Chrome was available.
AKG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I have IE 6, and when I go to type in URLs into my address bar, and I type in an 'h' say, then since I have Hotmail bookmarked, a little thing will appear below the address bar saying Hotmail.com. Also, if I have recently been to a site whose name starts with an h, then it will show up there until I clear my history and everything. But I've had some that have been there for years, e.g. when I type in 'e', a URL for a howstuffworks article on Game Cube comes up, and probably haven't gone to that site in 5 years. There are one or two URLs that do this. Any ideas as to why this happens?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Somewhere this history has been saved, maybe even on microsoft servers. That information then in turn feeds the autocomplete and suggestion search bar features. I would suggest moving to FireFox or Chrome.

Chrome wasn't an option in 2006, but I assume the OP has moved away from IE6 by now :D

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is the purpose of Internet Explorer's address bar auto suggestions?

The purpose of Internet Explorer's address bar auto suggestions is to provide users with a convenient and faster way to access previously visited websites. As users type into the address bar, a drop-down list of suggested websites will appear based on their browsing history, bookmarks, and frequently visited sites. This feature saves users time and effort by eliminating the need to type out the entire URL.

2. How does Internet Explorer generate the suggested websites in the address bar?

Internet Explorer uses its browsing history, bookmarks, and frequently visited sites to generate the suggested websites in the address bar. It also takes into account the user's search history and popular websites to provide relevant suggestions.

3. Can I disable the address bar auto suggestions in Internet Explorer?

Yes, you can disable the address bar auto suggestions in Internet Explorer. To do so, go to the "Tools" menu and select "Internet Options." Then, click on the "Content" tab and click on the "Settings" button under the "AutoComplete" section. Uncheck the box next to "Address bar" and click "OK" to save the changes.

4. How do I remove specific suggestions from the address bar in Internet Explorer?

To remove specific suggestions from the address bar in Internet Explorer, start typing the website's URL in the address bar. Then, use the arrow keys on your keyboard to highlight the suggestion you want to remove and press the "Delete" key. This will remove the specific suggestion from the list.

5. Can I clear all of the address bar auto suggestions in Internet Explorer?

Yes, you can clear all of the address bar auto suggestions in Internet Explorer. To do so, go to the "Tools" menu and select "Internet Options." Then, click on the "General" tab and click on the "Delete" button under the "Browsing history" section. Make sure the box next to "Form data" is checked and click "Delete" to clear all of the address bar auto suggestions.