Internship at JPL for NASA: What to Expect and How to Prepare?

In summary, the Undergraduate Student Research Program at JPL/NASA is a highly recommended opportunity for students interested in robotics and aerospace engineering, with a 15-week internship and intense but rewarding work experience.
brf4n
I am going to be applying for an internship at JPL for NASA (Undergraduate Student Research Program).

Does anyone know anything about this? I've talked to a robotics engineer at JPL and he says any internship program is good, along with the Space Grant program.

I guess I'm wondering because I only have a 3.0 GPA, even though I have a good background in Math and Physics along with academic extracurriculars.

How intense do you think the work would be? It's 15 weeks, and they give you a project to do with a team of other interns.

I'd be asking on the appropriate NASA forums but I don't really want to dig through my emails to find the website right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Undergraduate Student Research Program at JPL/NASA is a great opportunity for students who are interested in robotics and aerospace engineering. It typically includes a 15-week internship, during which time you will be working on a project with a team of other interns. The work is generally quite intense, as you are expected to push yourself to learn and grow from the experience. Generally, the internship is open to students with a GPA of 3.0 and higher, though it can vary depending on the project that you are assigned to. Additionally, you should have a good background in math and physics, as well as academic extracurriculars, to be considered for the program. To find out more information, you may want to check out the JPL website or contact someone from their recruiting team.

I can say that applying for an internship at JPL for NASA is a great opportunity for any undergraduate student. JPL is a world-renowned institution known for its groundbreaking work in space exploration and research. The Undergraduate Student Research Program is a highly competitive program and being selected for it is a great accomplishment.

In terms of the intensity of the work, it is important to remember that JPL is a research institution and the projects assigned to interns are real and meaningful. This means that the work will likely be challenging and require a high level of dedication and commitment. However, it is also a great opportunity to gain hands-on experience and work with a team of other interns, which can be a valuable learning experience.

As for your GPA, it is important to note that JPL looks at a variety of factors in their selection process, including academic background, extracurricular activities, and personal achievements. Your strong background in math and physics, along with your academic extracurriculars, could make you a strong candidate for this program.

I would highly recommend reaching out to the appropriate NASA forums or contacting JPL directly for more information about the program and the application process. It is important to be well-informed and prepared before applying for such a competitive program. Best of luck in your application!

1. What is the application process for an internship at JPL for NASA?

The application process for an internship at JPL for NASA typically consists of submitting an online application, including a resume, cover letter, and any other required materials. Applicants may also need to go through a phone or in-person interview before being selected for the internship.

2. What are the qualifications for an internship at JPL for NASA?

The qualifications for an internship at JPL for NASA vary depending on the specific internship program. Generally, applicants should be enrolled in a relevant undergraduate or graduate program and have a strong academic background in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) fields.

3. Are internships at JPL for NASA paid?

Yes, internships at JPL for NASA are paid positions. Interns receive a stipend based on their education level and the duration of their internship. They may also be eligible for other benefits, such as housing and transportation assistance.

4. What is the duration of an internship at JPL for NASA?

The duration of an internship at JPL for NASA can vary from 10 weeks to one year, depending on the specific internship program. Most internships are full-time positions and follow a summer or year-round schedule. Some programs also offer part-time internships.

5. What is the work environment like at JPL for NASA?

The work environment at JPL for NASA is fast-paced, collaborative, and innovative. Interns are given the opportunity to work on real-world projects and contribute to cutting-edge research and technology development. The JPL campus also offers a variety of amenities, such as cafes, a gym, and outdoor spaces, to support a healthy work-life balance.