Graduating BSEE: Internship or Classes?

In summary, the person is about to graduate with a BSEE and is considering going to graduate school. They are wondering if they should take electives or focus on getting an internship during their last summer before graduation. They are also concerned about how this decision will impact their future plans and if not having an internship will hurt their chances in the industry. A suggestion is given to take the internship and gain real-world experience, as it may be more valuable to potential employers. The person also asks if internships hold significant weight in graduate admissions and if relevant electives will impress prospective employers.
Maxwell
Hey guys, I have one more summer left before I graduate with a BSEE. I am about 99.9% certain that I want to go right to graduate school when I graduate.

My question is: During the summer, should I take a few electives that I really want to take or should I focus on getting an internship? What would look better to a graduate admissions panel? More classes relevant to the field I want to go into, or an internship?

And, just in case, I for some reason totally change my mind and decide to go right to industry, would not having an internship really hurt me? Would this be acceptable if I explained why I didn't pursue an internship?

Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would take the internship. Get some real world experience. The major aerospace company I work for isn't really hiring any engineers with graduate degrees without experience. You can always go back and take the courses later.

Dr Transport said:
I would take the internship. Get some real world experience. The major aerospace company I work for isn't really hiring any engineers with graduate degrees without experience. You can always go back and take the courses later.

Thanks, Dr.T.

Do graduate admissions put a lot of weight on internships?

Also, do companies check out what classes you took as an undergrad? Will taking relevant electives impress prospective employers?

1. What is the difference between an internship and taking classes while pursuing a BSEE degree?

An internship is a work experience that provides hands-on training in a real-world setting, while taking classes involves classroom instruction and theoretical learning. Both are important components of a BSEE degree, but internships allow students to gain practical skills and industry experience.

2. Can an internship count as credit towards my BSEE degree?

Yes, many universities offer academic credit for internships that are relevant to the student's field of study. This allows students to gain valuable work experience while also fulfilling academic requirements.

3. How do I find an internship opportunity for my BSEE degree?

You can start by checking with your university's career center, as they may have connections with companies that offer internships. You can also search for internship opportunities online, attend career fairs, and network with professionals in your field of study.

4. Can I do both an internship and take classes at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to balance an internship and classes while pursuing a BSEE degree. However, it is important to carefully manage your time and workload to avoid getting overwhelmed. It may also be helpful to discuss your schedule with your academic advisor to ensure you are on track to meet graduation requirements.

5. Are internships required for a BSEE degree?

This varies depending on the university and program. Some BSEE programs may require an internship as part of their curriculum, while others may offer it as an elective or optional experience. It is important to check with your university's academic requirements to determine if internships are mandatory for your degree.