1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internship or Classes?

1. Dec 22, 2005 #1
    Hey guys, I have one more summer left before I graduate with a BSEE. I am about 99.9% certain that I want to go right to graduate school when I graduate.

My question is: During the summer, should I take a few electives that I really want to take or should I focus on getting an internship? What would look better to a graduate admissions panel? More classes relevant to the field I want to go into, or an internship?

And, just in case, I for some reason totally change my mind and decide to go right to industry, would not having an internship really hurt me? Would this be acceptable if I explained why I didn't pursue an internship?

Thanks guys.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2005 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would take the internship. Get some real world experience. The major aerospace company I work for isn't really hiring any engineers with graduate degrees without experience. You can always go back and take the courses later.
  4. Dec 23, 2005 #3
    Thanks, Dr.T.

Do graduate admissions put a lot of weight on internships?

Also, do companies check out what classes you took as an undergrad? Will taking relevant electives impress prospective employers?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?