Interpret this problem at my university

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, Fresno State officials announced that the number of summer session classes offered will be significantly reduced due to a new California State University requirement that increases the cost of providing classes. The university had planned to use a previous pay schedule, but a recent agreement between CSU and the California Faculty Association requires a new, higher salary schedule for summer instructors, regardless of class size. This has resulted in many classes being dropped, potentially due to budget cuts.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Heres the first parts of this article concerning summer classes at my university for this year.

Fresno State officials announced today that the number of summer session classes will be reduced significantly this year because of a new California State University (CSU) requirement that substantially increases the cost of providing classes.

The university had developed its original summer session based on the assumption that it would use a pay schedule used in previous summers. However, a recent agreement reached among the CSU and the California Faculty Association required that a new salary schedule be utilized for summer 2005. The agreement was prompted by the results of an arbitration ruling.

The new agreement pays summer instructors at a rate that is about a third higher than the old schedule and requires that the instructors be paid whether or not a class is full.

So what's everyones interpretation of this. All my summer classes were dropped because of this :-/.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems a little counterproductive to me. The teachers pushed for more pay than the university could afford and now they aren't being paid anything. Now everybody loses out.

I heard its also because of good ol budget cuts. Gotta love public universities! When your state's credit rating is an abomination, I have to pay!

1. What is the problem at your university?

The problem at our university is that there is a lack of diversity and inclusivity on campus, leading to unequal opportunities for students and a sense of exclusion for certain groups.

2. How is this problem affecting students?

This problem is affecting students by creating a campus culture that is not fully inclusive and can lead to feelings of isolation, discrimination, and a lack of support for certain groups. It can also impact academic performance and overall well-being.

3. What steps is your university taking to address this problem?

Our university has implemented various initiatives and programs to promote diversity and inclusivity on campus. This includes creating a diversity and inclusion task force, providing training for faculty and staff on cultural competency and bias, and hosting events and workshops to raise awareness and celebrate diversity.

4. How can students get involved in addressing this problem?

Students can get involved by joining student organizations and clubs that promote diversity and inclusivity, attending campus events and workshops focused on these issues, and actively engaging in conversations and initiatives that aim to create a more inclusive campus community.

5. What can be done to ensure long-term change and progress?

Ensuring long-term change and progress requires ongoing efforts and a commitment from the university, students, and faculty. This includes regularly evaluating and updating policies and initiatives, fostering a culture of inclusivity and open communication, and continuously educating and training individuals on the importance of diversity and inclusivity.