1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection between the solid and a plane perpendicular

1. Jul 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A solid has a circular base of radius r=4. Find in each case the volume of the solid if all intersection between the solid and a plane perpendicular to a set diameter is:

a) A square
    b) A triangle rectangle isosceles which one of its sides is on the circular base.

3. The attempt at a solution

The first I thought was in some kind of cylindroid. I know I must find an equation that I can integrate. So, the sides of the squares will be given by:

[tex]z=2\sqrt{r^2-x^2}[/tex]

Is the integration given by: [tex]\displaystyle\int_{-4}^{4}[2\sqrt{r^2-x^2}]^2dx=4\displaystyle\int_{-4}^{4}(r^2-x^2)dx[/tex] for the square?

And how can I find the volume of the other solid b)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Solids

That looks fine to me. Ok, so the area of a square with side z is z^2. And you integrated the area to get the volume. Fine. What's the area of a isosceles right triangle with side z? I'm not sure why this is confusing you. Are you worried about Odysseus' return?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  4. Jul 5, 2010 #3

Haha I still drunk from Blooms day :p

The problem I got is... the area of the triangle: [tex]\diplaystyle\frac{bh}{2}[/tex]
    How do I get h? Pythagoras?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  5. Jul 5, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the triangle I'm thinking of both b and h are z. In an isosceles right triangle both sides are equal, aren't they?

6. Jul 5, 2010 #5

If both of them are equal one each other, then they are not equal to the base. So I must find h....

7. Jul 5, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are two different ways to draw the picture. The question says 'one of its sides is on the base'. I took this to mean that it isn't the hypotenuse that has length z, but rather one of the legs. I'm probably wrong. If I am, yes, use pythagoras to find the missing length.

8. Jul 5, 2010 #7

Sorry, I didn't give a righteous interpretation at what you said in the first place. You're right, it's easier to think of both, the base and the high as the information I already get to. So, it won't be hard to find the volume from there.

Thanks Dick.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook