Are these two lines intersecting?

In summary, the two lines L1 and L2 in 3-dimensions can be checked for intersection by using parametric equations for a line through each set of points and solving for s and t. If the values of s and t satisfy the equations, then the lines intersect.
totototo
Hi;
First i you read my problem and feel that it does not belong to this forum please inform me which one is the right one.

I have 2 lines L1,L2 in 3-dimensions
L1 has (x1,y1,z1) (x2,y2,z2)
L2 has (x3,y3,z3) (x4,y4,z4)
How can I know that these two lines are intersected?

Thanks
toto

Physics news on Phys.org
Parametric equations for a line through (x1,y1,z1) and (x2,y2,z2) is
x= x1+ (x2-x1)t, y= y1+ (y2-y1)t, z= z1+ (z2-z1)t

Parametric equations for a line through (x3,y3,z3) and (x4,y4,z4) is
x= x3+ (x4-x3)s, y= y3+(y4- y3)s, z= z3+ (z4-z3)s

Set x= x, y= y, z= z to get three equations for s and t. Solve two of the equations for s and t and then see if those values satisfy the third.

Thanks alot

What is the concept of the intersection of two lines?

The intersection of two lines is the point at which the two lines meet or cross each other. It is the common point that lies on both lines.

How can I find the intersection of two lines?

To find the intersection of two lines, you can use the equations of the lines. Set the equations equal to each other and solve for the variables. The solution will give you the coordinates of the intersection point.

What does it mean if the lines do not intersect?

If the lines do not intersect, it means that they are parallel to each other. This means that they have the same slope and will never cross or meet.

Can two lines intersect at more than one point?

No, two lines can only intersect at one point. If the lines intersect at more than one point, then they are the same line and are coincident.

How can I determine if two lines are perpendicular?

To determine if two lines are perpendicular, you can calculate the slopes of the lines. If the slopes are negative reciprocals of each other, then the lines are perpendicular.