Intersection of spherical shell and a plane

In summary, the conversation discussed the area of the intersection between a spherical shell and a plane in spherical coordinates. The speaker needed help formulating this problem and another person suggested considering a ring with differential thickness dR. The correct solution involves taking the derivative of the area of the ring, which is 2πr dR.
mae3x
I need to know the area of the intersection between a sperical shell and a plane in spherical coordinates. By "shell" I mean a sphere with some differential thickness dR. Basically, I know that the intersection of a sphere and a plane is a circle. But I want to consider this sphere having some differential thickness and determine the subsequent differential area of intersection with the plane. Can someone please help me out with formulating this problem? Thanks, Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't this just a ring with differential tickness dR?

Consider a ring of inner radius r and outer rarius R.
[tex]A_{ring} = \pi(R^2-r^2)[/tex]

How does its area varies with an increase of R?

[tex]\frac{dA_{ring}}{dR} = \pi (2R-r^2)[/tex]

So a differential increase of dR means a differential increase in the area of

[tex]dA_{ring} = \pi (2R-r^2)dR[/tex]

And if the outer radius is r (R=r), then you have the concept of a diffential ring of radius r, i.e. what you're looking for:

[tex]dA_{ring}(R=r) = \pi (2r-r^2)dR[/tex]

quasar987 said:

That solution is incorrect upon inspection as it involves the difference between an length and an area. The correct answer is [itex]2\pi r dR[/itex].

The error appeared by taking [itex]\frac{d}{dR} \pi (R^2-r^2)= \pi (2R-r^2)[/tex], which is incorrect: [itex]\frac{dr}{dR} = 0[/itex].

quasar987 said:
Isn't this just a ring with differential tickness dR?

Consider a ring of inner radius r and outer rarius R.
[tex]A_{ring} = \pi(R^2-r^2)[/tex]

How does its area varies with an increase of R?

[tex]\frac{dA_{ring}}{dR} = \pi (2R-r^2)[/tex]
If you are assuming that r is a constant then
[tex]\frac{dA_{ring}}{dR} = 2\pi R[/tex]
since the derivative of r2 is 0.

So a differential increase of dR means a differential increase in the area of

[tex]dA_{ring} = \pi (2R-r^2)dR[/tex]

And if the outer radius is r (R=r), then you have the concept of a diffential ring of radius r, i.e. what you're looking for:

oops. :frown:

1. What is the intersection of a spherical shell and a plane?

The intersection of a spherical shell and a plane is the set of points where the plane and the spherical shell intersect. This intersection can be a circle, a point, or an empty set depending on the position and orientation of the plane with respect to the spherical shell.

2. How is the intersection of a spherical shell and a plane calculated?

The intersection of a spherical shell and a plane can be calculated using mathematical equations, such as the equation for a sphere and the equation for a plane. The equations can be solved simultaneously to find the points of intersection.

3. What is the significance of the intersection of a spherical shell and a plane?

The intersection of a spherical shell and a plane has many applications in mathematics and science. It is used in geometry, calculus, and physics to solve problems related to surfaces and volumes. It also has practical applications in engineering and architecture, such as designing domes and curved structures.

4. Can a spherical shell and a plane intersect at more than one point?

Yes, a spherical shell and a plane can intersect at more than one point. If the plane is parallel to the equator of the spherical shell, the intersection will be a circle. If the plane is tilted, it will intersect the spherical shell at two points, forming a line of intersection. And if the plane is tangent to the spherical shell, it will intersect at a single point.

5. How does the size of the spherical shell and the distance from the plane affect the intersection?

The size of the spherical shell and the distance from the plane can affect the intersection in different ways. If the spherical shell is smaller, the intersection will be smaller and vice versa. If the distance between the plane and the center of the spherical shell is larger, the intersection will be larger and vice versa. However, the orientation of the plane with respect to the spherical shell also plays a significant role in determining the size and shape of the intersection.